PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
What are your favorite tobacco-forward blends? I prefer natural flavorings over "syrups," especially alcohol-flavored blends. A recent discovery that I particularly enjoy is Comoy's Cask #2 Portwood. I'm looking for more though. So let's hear 'em!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I take it you are asking about aromatic (non-tobacco flavored) blends. I am one who tends to prefer alcohol-flavored aromatic blends to food flavored blends like vanilla, cocoa, pistachio, chocolate and such. I like what I consider a number of tobacco-forward aromatics. To recommend one, it is Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which is burley based, with Virginia as a condiment, and flavored with three liqueurs, but only a pleasant background to the tobacco.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Yes, I should have specified that... Tobacco-forward AROMATIC blends. Thanks for clarifying! I wonder if the mods can edit my title?
I tried SWRA several years ago and remembered liking it. I do love OTC blends such as SWR regular, LLRR, and Chatham Manor. I think I'll have to revisit SWRA! Thanks for the reminder!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These are three other outliers that you might sample in small quantities to see what you think. Granger is definitely tobacco forward, such that many don't think of it as an aromatic at all, but technically it is, and molasses is the flavoring I think. It's Kentucy rough cut and authentic, if you happen to take a liking to it. Iwan Ries Three Star Blue is a good old fashioned blend as well, and to add a third, Edward G. Robinson is a favorite with some around here ... I like it. My favorite leaf and blends tend to be non-aromatic, but a good tobacco forward aromatic can be a fine smoke.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I like Irish Flake, 1792 Flake, Royal Yacht. They are strong blends and I only smoke them in the evening.

Many blends that are advertised as straight tobaccos have some kind of flavor enhancer. Astleys 44, F&T Cut Blended Plug, Capstan Blue, Dunhill Flake etc. I like those, but I'm not sure if they fit your bill or if they ought to be put in the non-aromatic box, even though they have "something".

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Thank you, all, for these suggestions. Some of them I already know and love, but others I have yet to try. My TAD list is getting longer!

Status
Not open for further replies.