PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sagepipe

Lurker
Nov 27, 2014
There are various aromas I experience throughout a smoke, like the first light or the steady stream of smoke dancing in front of my face mid-smoke. However, my absolute favorite aroma is the smell of the briar towards the end of a smoke. The outside of the briar has a subtle smell that is absolutely wonderful. People catch me smelling the pipe quite often and I explain to them the wonderful aroma. It might be one of my favorite rituals in smoking my pipe.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, the wife caught me smelling my pipe once and asked me " what are you DOING?". Smelling my pipe I said. She then said

"you are a strange person". Lol.

I was trying to see if I could pick up any scent of the tobacco I was smoking. Just wondered if the pipe was breathing. Actually I think I could.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've done that before, but the pipe doesn't always smell like what I'm smoking. Sometimes it does, but mostly it smells like what has been smoked in it the most. For instance, tonight I'm smoking Penzance in a small GBD Fantasy I bought as an estate pipe about a year ago, and the outside bowl smells like some kind of aromatic, but nothing distinct. I've smoked numerous tobaccos in it, but not very many aros, so maybe it's ghosted from past smoking. The Penzance smokes fine and doesn't have any ghostly tastes in it as near as I can tell, and I did clean it with a salt/alcohol treatment when I got it and when its cold I don't smell anything. A little odd, but not disturbing.... :|

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I like the lingering scent of tobacco smoke in my mustache after a good smoke. People would probably think i lost it if they saw me curl my upper lip so I could get a better whiff of my mustache. :crazy:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Jkrug, I believe that is called the beard note.
If we are speaking purely of aroma, I'd have to say the tin note and room note of CAO Moon Trance is delightful. Not a bad tasting blend for aro. I smoke it when we have company. I smoke Gaslight when I want them to leave... :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Some tobaccos I smoke create a musty, gamey odor around the mouthpiece. Always pleasant.

I think it is from either Orientals or Perique. Not sure.

McClelland 2025 - English Cavendish, & Haunted Bookshop are two.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm a fan of the beard note. I love how my mustache smells after a pipe.
There are some downsides. If I come to bed smelling like that...well I know what isn't going to happen...my wife hates the smell.
I'd walk around smelling like that all day if it didn't come with those....uh....unacceptable consequences.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
I like to think about it as the Stache Note. And I find myself curling my mustache up into my nose regularly to get a taste of it.
Knock on aros all you want to, but nothing has a better Stache Note than an obnoxious overly-vanilla/rummy aro.
An hour later it smells like tiny elves are baking delicious treats in the forest on your face.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
God help me, but it's the leftover ghost in the one pipe I used for my ill-fated attempt to get to like, or even tolerate, CB regular. The things I learned are:

1. CB never, ever dries to a smokeable level.

2. CB has a room note that is apparently panty-dropping ambrosia to non-smoking women.

3. "Gooper" was coined to describe the hot, wet, flavorless smoking characteristics of CB.

4. The ghost CB leaves in a briar pipe is one of the best-smelling things on Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.