Not open for further replies.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
Check out Tuskegee Airmen and Pirate Kake. Both are my favorites! :puffy:

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Brilliant, how long should you let a tobacco age? Will they ever go bad? I assume that it's almost like wine, more flavors develop into fruition through age?

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
@eazy I've been hearing great things about Pirate Kake, it's definitely a blend I'm looking forward to trying :)

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
Here's another Star Of The East fan. Lovely blend.
I also like their Virginia flakes, especially After Hours and Sunday Picnic.
There are lots of threads about glass-jar storage on the forum. Click on Roth's name above and look through the posts on which he's commented. (There are other good folks who have written about this topic, so you could use the "search" function, too.)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Never had a C&D blend before, in almost 4 years of piping they have simply remained a mystery!

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Old Hollywood its red VA, Latakia, red VA cavendish, Turkish & cubed burley. The smoke is amazing and very filling.

~Ron

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I have much respect for the C&D brand, and the family that has run it. That being said- I have yet to find a C&D blend I enjoy. For whatever reason- none of them thrill me.
I think there may be some potential with Exhausted Rooster, I need to give it a few more tries.
Glad so many enjoy their blends though.

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
C&Ds were the first tobaccos that really "kicked" me. In Germany they're quite difficult to get and I only bought tinned blends in Swizerland so far. I bought quite a lot of different blends and none of them disappointed me. My absolute favourites would be Briar Fox, Bayou Morning Flake, Sunday Picnic, Star of the East Flake, Bow-Legged Bear and Adagio. Ah: Bridge Mixture, Easy Times and Safe Harbor Flake were pretty awesome, too.
All in all I think you can't go wrong with C&D at all. Perhaps just read the tin discriptions and go for some. To be honest - some of my picks I made just because of the picture on the tin... ;)

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Just received a tin of Autumn Evening--looking forward to trying it in the coming weeks.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Forgot my other favorite C&D blend, Crooner I do for some weird reason love the deer tongue added, even if I have to have a separate pipe for it.

~Ron

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Haha yep -- the tin art on the Exhasted Rooster can is my all time favorite [:eek:]
Hehe, definately!
In fact, that was a good thing in some cases. Just from the tin description, I probably hadn't ordered Star of the East Flake, but the tin looked so cool and classy, I had to have it. Smoking it the first time I thought to myself: "Gosh, that's an amount of Latakia I haven't had before! Not sure if that's for me.." Today I simply love the blend.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I enjoy
Night Train

Burley Flake #2 (with virginia)

Burley Flake #4 (with latakia)
I have had a sample of Exhausted Rooster and have been meaning to buy a tin.
I have a few tins of Briar Fox aging but have not smoked it yet.
I have tried Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop but do not care for them.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Have sampled about a dozen C&D blends and they invariably have a rough, cheap cigar-like edge to them, wheter fresh or with some age to them. It's weird, because I enjoy GL Pease and LCPC blends which are also produced by C&D.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Being an unabashed C&D booster I am compelled to post my personal preferences.

Bulk English:

Engine 99

Tuggle Hall

Cordial

Star of the East

Stratfordshire

Plantation Evening
VAPERS:

Bayou Morning (bulk)

Night Train (bulk)

Red Carpet (Tinned)
Burleys:

Old Joe Krantz -bulk (Love the stuff)

Burley Flake #4 (Tinned)
Others:

Mississippi Mud

Tuskegee Airman
Please note: As C&D uses only a little distilled water with a tiny amount of vinegar as a mold retardant in their non-aromatic blends their tobaccos are much drier than other blenders, especially in bulks. Usually I find them smoke-ready on arrival but if no humidification is added they will eventually turn harsh as they over dry. I do think this is the cause of such a wide range of opinions they get in reviews.
I've smoked plenty more for them, but these are always in my cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.