PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Hey guys I'm just writing this to kinda find out what are the most liked Cornell & Diehl blends. I want to try some of them, I'm already planning on trying Nutty Irishman, just want to know which ones were worth a try. Thanks :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
C&D knows their burleys. I've tried, maybe, 20+ of their blends and most of them had latakia in them. For lat lovers- Pirate Kake. I also like, USS Mason, Montford Point Marine, Morning Drive Time, Crooked Lane is an excellent English blend. I only smoke 2 aros and they're both from C&D- Autumn Evening and Gentleman Caller.

I like Billy Budd in a cob too. With over 200 blends in their line you'll keep busy for quite awhile. Good luck.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Cornell & Diehl Poplar Camp (Red Virginias, Perique, small amount of Cavendish) Poplar Camp is a great example of the Virginia/Perique genre. Bright and red Virginias have been toasted to develop more depth and a more caramelized type of sweetness and the Perique brings some zip to the proceedings. This is a strong smoke with plenty of pepper.

Reactions: DotAndBang’sPipes

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Cornell & Diehl Star of the East (Latakia, Orientals, Red Virginia) Star of the East is a rich Latakia Balkan blend with a healthy dose of Orientals to add complexity and to amplify the aroma. Sweet Red Virginia is added to bring in additional element of flavor. The end result is a very satisfying blend for the Latakia fan.

Reactions: jttnk

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
Easy times & Junkyard dog is a burley blend w very little Latakia. They are throw back old school blends I like for all day smokes.
I enjoy all there burley blends 1-4 and old joe krantz and haunted bookshop.
Hope you enjoy em!
Oh, my opinion, let new tins cellar for 6mo to a year. I feel there blends are a little "green" when first tinned and improve greatly with a little age.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop (Burley, Red Virginias, Perique) Haunted Bookshop is an unapologetically strong burley-based blend that is slightly sweetened by the addition of Red Virginias, and spiced up and deepened by including plenty of the Cajun delicacy, Perique. This is a heady smoke with more than plenty of pepper.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Epiphany caught me. The first couple of bowls were underwhelming but not bad. At first, I only had a 1oz sample so I was working through it almost reluctantly then the right pipe at the right time hit. It now is probably my all-day English blend. It's pretty mild in flavor and medium in nicotine....just nice in an almost OTC-style way.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I have a few jars of C&D blends that I'm working on.
Mississippi Mud is the one I go to when I want the strong stuff.
Morning Drive time is the medium bodied smoke for me.
Capt. Bob's Blend when I want a mild aromatic smoke. (be warned this one has a strong grape casing)

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I am a big fan of Cornell & Diehl. My top five blends are Haunted Bookshop for a cob burley smoke, Billy Budd for a strong lat bomb, Briar Fox when i am in the mood for a virgina blend, Blockade Runner for a rum/navy, and Adagio for an anytime smoke.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I would say that C&D Bayou Night is my favorite,

also like Billy Bud and Old Joe Krantz.

Bayou Night can have a good kick, I won't smoke it on an empty stomach though.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I like Good Morning and Crooked Lane. I also always have some Autumn Evening around. I don't smoke a lot of aro's but like this one when I want something more pleasant smelling (when there is company on the porch or the back deck). The maple is potent, but the underlying tobacco is good and the tobacco flavor comes through.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
So it smells Mapley? Like the wood or like maple syrup? Sorry it just sounds like a dream come true, something that smokes good and has a nice smell to it. Seems everything that smells like death smokes wonderfully and everything that smells beautiful smokes terribly. A pleasant room note and a nice tobacco taste were what I was hoping to find in the Nutty Irishman and it seems that you may have found it in the Autumn Evening.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I don't even know where to start on this one. C&D has been one of my longtime favorites and was even the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked when I started. About the only one in recent memory I can think of that I won't buy again is Purple Cow.
Honorable mention goes to Montford Point Marine, Pirate Kake, Bow Legged Bear, Cross Eyed Cricket, and da Vinci.
The bowl of Chocolate English I had last night was very nice. That one is working it's way up my list of favs too.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
As far as Dunhill goes I really only have a desire to try Nightcap, EMP, and My Mixture 765 or whatever it is and that's only because it's in the hall of fame at tobacco reviews.com

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Hi shayde, I find that C&D Bayou Night a bit on the strong side and if I smoke

a few bowls on an empty stomach it gets flippy.

I try and make sure that I have some food in me before I smoke it.

Still love it though, wonderful taste.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I've never tried English blends before I haven't really tried much of anything yet haha. I'm getting a bunch of different types of tobacco with an estate pipe I purchased today :) I know the names of the different types of tobaccos but I've no clue of the aromas or flavored present in them. I've kinda gathered that Latakia is basically the pipe smokers black coffee. Aromatics are a pipe smokers frozen mocha frappacino iced coffee haha and Virginia's are like a coffee with cream. But I could be horribly wrong seeing as I've never tried them yet. So far all I've tried is Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla and a house blend the Local Tobacconist recommended.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
You will have fun exploring all the wonderful tobacco blends that are available.

You will also find many great tobacco reviews on here by many of the knowledgeable pipe smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.