Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Dutch brother-in-law who always watches "White Christmas" with his daughter (and now perhaps her twins!). It's a nostalgic post World War II movie that I think may register even more with someone who grew up in post WWII Europe, in this case Rotterdam, that had to be rebuilt from the ashes. The film is based around Bing Crosby and his famous hit song. About a different film, I avoided "Elf" for years, put off by the trailers and clips I saw. We finally watched it, and it is funny and well acted, not a great work, but pretty good. Back to Rotterdam, the one bright side of the devastation is that Rotterdam, being rebuilt, became a showcase for new postwar architecture that is world famous. When he came to the U.S., he came to Chicago, another architectural jewel box.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I like most of the older movies mentioned (and some of the newer). I guess it is no longer considered PC, because there is a minstrel scene, but Holiday Inn is one of my favorites. White Christmas is a pale shaded remake of this Crosby/Astaire classic IMHO.

Reactions: python

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
91AsVnwwnCL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: python
The Grand Budapest Hotel quickly became a Christmas classic for us.
My wife demands to watch Desk Set each year. I really like Spenser Tracy, so...
And, somehow Groundhog Day always seems to be running about this time of year.
When the adult kids come over, they tend to turn on one of the Harry Potters.

But, I will look to see when the Walton's Christmas Special comes on and specifically plan to watch it. I loved the Waltons as a kid.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
My 2 girls , 5 and 7, love the new grinch movie and 1 called elf with with will ferrell , and a couple of others they rotate thru quicker than i rotate thru my pipes . Nothing beta than gettin them to choose 1 and sittin down and watchin their smiles and hearin them laugh then having a little intermission with a pipe on back verandah and hearimg them inside giggling and thinkin i must be the luckyest man alive .

Reactions: scloyd and python
Status
Not open for further replies.