PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Over a year ago I had convinced myself that I was allergic to Perique. Turned out that I love Perique so much that I consistently over-puffed and got lots (and lots) of tongue bite. Ow!
Six-seven months ago, having learned (finally!) to slow down, I started smoking it more and more, until, now, almost everything I love has Perique as a primary ingredient.
Also, I'm not that fond of Virginias. They are so mild and subtle that I, again, over-puff. Burley, on the other hand, satisfies my nicotine craving and gives me the thick, rich "mouth feel" that I love. Plus, I really like the taste.
Lately, I'm smoking Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop and Bayou Nights, all by C&D. They are all Burley/Perique forward, with other tobaccos used strictly as condiments.
Do you guys have any favorite Burley/Perique blends that I might not have tried?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I love the first two you mention (OJK and HB). I sometimes just sprinkle in some Perique with things like plain cube cut burley or C&D Burley Flake #2.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
leacha,
I haven't tried Night Train, but it sounds wonderful. I'll add some to my next order. I like Freight Train quite a bit, but not as much as my current favorites.
pitchfork,
I have been blending cube-cut Burley with the granulated Perique. I've tried it in several proportions but what I like best is three parts Burley to one part (or just a tiny bit more) of Perique. I haven't yet tried blending anything else in with it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
OJK is excellent. If you count the dark fired as burley, Fire Storm is a VaPer with dark fired, my new infatuation.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Having blending perique on hand to experiment with is a wonderful thing. The stuff has become an essential part of my diet.

I really like mixing it with burley, but it mixes pretty good with Virginia tobacco too, I'm told. :lol:

As robwoodall mentioned, it only requires a reasonably small % to have a positive influence.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I like Night Train better,than OJK. I think the Black Cav smooths it out a bit over OJK though I've found I like a little BC in blends.
Just my 2¢.

cullansghost

Lurker
Jun 13, 2016
I will second mso489's Fire Storm recommendation. I would like to also point out Tsuge's Gaijin, but be warned it is very deep and earthy, very cigar-ish with only an underlying hint of VA sweetness.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The only blend I tried that comes to mind is Triple Play. Good stuff once you find a prep method that works for you. I like to slice it from the corner as thin as possible (paper thin) into small flakes and fold & stuff them.

Status
Not open for further replies.