PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Taking a break from the bourbon and scotch and drinking some Irish Whiskey this week.
Latest bottle was Tullamore DEW ... very tasty and great with a Lat blend.

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I have discovered an gem! Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage is fantastic. Just something about the flavor profile that is right up my alley. Spicy with a long finish, and 26 bucks here in Fla.
This goes right up there with super high quality and reasonable price bourbons.
#1 Buffalo Trace

#2 Evan Williams single barrel

#3 Four Roses small batch
MMMmmmmMMMMmmmm

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Bulleit, easily. Nothing else at the price is nearly as smooth, IMO, though I could see how some might prefer a different flavor profile and pick something else.
Maybe it's just a distribution racket here in Chicago, but I don't know where you guys are finding Woodford Reserve at a decent price. It's a solid bottle, but always $5-$10 more than Bulleit, and no better IMO. I used to drink Maker's and still do in a pinch, but I find Bulleit is a lot better for only a little more. I'll buy a bottle of Knob Creek once in a while too - it's little rough for me, but I do like the flavor. Basil Hayden's and Bookers are excellent too, but too high end for a usual bottle in my house. Drinking a little less bourbon probably wouldn't hurt on that front...

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Since my posting last year, I have discovered another excellent bourbon: 1792 Ridgemont Reserve by Barton Distilling. This small batch product has quickly risen to my Fav Five! You owe it to yourself to try it. Don't thank me, just enjoy.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
I seem some people naming Jim Beam Black Label, but I am a little worried since it is going No Age Statement (was aged 8 years over the white label 4 years). My personal favorite right now is Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10 year. I have also enjoyed Barterhouse (definitely shows that some bourbon has a tough time with age), Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (best bourbon for the money anywhere), Black Maple Hill Red Label (avoid the newer Oregon ones), Bookers (to me a better bourbon than Blanton's which is a great bourbon but for the price I would rather have Bookers), Old Granddad 114 (great stuff), Homestead (a great barrel proof with a little lower proof), Old Weller Antique, and Larceny (92 proof). I really love OWA and Larceny since wheaters are my favorite but love it when I can get my hands on some Pappy. I am looking forward to trying E. H. Taylor Cured Oak and E. H. Taylor Seasoned Wood this fall since I love bourbons at 100 proof or higher). As far as Ryes go, I am not a fan of Templeton since the lower proofing kills all the heat that makes a Rye Whiskey a Rye Whiskey.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
the neck of the bottle snapped off.
man...she was bummed.

If she had taken the neck right back in the store she probably would have gotten credit for it. That was the policy back when I worked in the business.

harlockfan

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2014
@Scurvydog-- At a bourbon tasting they had the whole line of Four Roses products. There is not a bad bottle in the whole bunch. Jim Rutledge is truly the master of his craft. I would strongly recommend Four Roses to anybody. Surprising since Seagrams almost killed the brand.
On a side note, Evan Williams single barrel is a great bourbon for the money. thumbs up on that one!

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Some of my favorites include Old Grandad 114, Wild Turkey 101, and Fighting Cock. But it's a toss up between Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Knob Creek, as to which I prefer most.

There are so many great bourbons out today. With all the Small Batch and Boutique Bourbons going on now days, let's not forget some of the old standbys, like Ancient Ancient Age 10 year, and Old Taylor, Evan Williams and Four Roses, and a slew of others. They are still really good.

Maybe we are in the Golden Age of Bourbon, but it is sad to hear that Jim Bean sold out. What a shame. A real shame.

jmuraco

Lurker
Dec 6, 2011
United States
Favorite bourbons:

Jim Beam Single Barrel

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Elijah Craig 12 yr small batch

Evan Williams Single Barrel

Russells Reserve 10

Stagg Jr.
Favorite Ryes:

Sazerac Rye

Russells Reserve Rye

Bulleit Rye

Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond
Favorite Scotch:

Laphroig 10 yr

Macallan 12 and 18

Macallan Fine Oak (all)

Aberlour Abundah

Highland Park (all)

Dalmore (all)

The Balvenie Doublewood 12

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Missed this thread the first time around. My favorite bourbon right now is Noah's Mill.
But I'm really getting deep into aged rums. El Dorado 21... tis the spirit of the season!

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
Maker's Mark. Did some consulting work in the 80's not far from the distillery. A few of us used to drink it like water.
Now, I'm more into Appleton Estate rum.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
My tastes in bourbon tend to change. That being said my top 3 are Makers Mark, Bulliet, and Knob Creek

Status
Not open for further replies.