PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
When I have to watch pennies (which is almost every day) I drink Virginia Gentleman. When I have a little extra cash I will pick up some Knob Creek.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
In the 1990s my mainstay Bourbon was Jim Beam. Now the various Beam Bourbons taste bland to me. Their Rye used to be my camping Whiskey. I'd choose a different brand of Rye now.
Back to Bourbon - I typically get Ezra Brooks 90 proof, and have a nearly empty bottle of their 101 proof sitting on my pipe smoking tray right now. I've looked at Woodford Reserve for quite a while, but the price always delays me trying it. I prefer Scotch over Bourbon (my heritage is Scottish, English, German, and Czech - and if I were to live anywhere outside of the U.S. I'd head to Scotland), and the higher priced Bourbons tend to get me looking at the Scotch bottles. I haven't tried Buffalo Trace, but was getting Knob Creek (a Beam brand) when it was heavily discounted at one seller. I also occasionally get Wild Turkey 101. I've bought Bulleit Rye, but not their Bourbon. A few weeks ago, Makers Mark was on sale, so I got that. I'd had it a few times before, going back to the 1990s. I tried Benchmark (made by Buffalo Trace) about a year ago and went back to good old Ezra. I think I'll try it again, knowing now who makes it. I've gotten Evan Williams and Elijah Craig, and plan to get Craig again, if I'm getting Bourbon, unless I decide to try Buffalo Trace or Woodford Reserve. I'll probably explore Single Malt Scotch instead, though. Yesterday I got a bottle of Ardmore Traditional Cask on sale, and the Peat reminds me of Latakia. Now that I'm a pipe smoker, Scotch tastes even better.
Of the two Tennesse brands (not Bourbons), I like George Dickel over Jack Daniels.
I don't mix anything into any of my drinks.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
This is my current favorite.
basil-hayden-1-400x600.jpg

dude

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2015
Minnesota,
So many good bourbons!!! I have to say, Jim Beam Black Label Rocks. I usally drink a glas or 2 of the $20-30/750ml stuff, then switch to Black label. ( which around here is $36 for 1.75) So I save like $2, whic I buy more tabbacco wity. Damn, I think I need more. Hell Ya

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I recently got a bottle of Buffalo Trace. Very smooth. Went really well with C&D Da Vinci.

biggles

Lurker
Sep 25, 2015
Atlanta
Been drinking whisky/bourbon a long time....long time. But by far, some of my favs are Blantons (NOT happy with the shortages that are happening now), Michters (all of them), Elijah Craig Small Batch (best bang for the $$), Woodford (dont forget the Rye), Kentucky Owl (only if you sell your kidney), Jefferson's Ocean (still working this one, but nice salty taste), and of course Old Forrester (birthday expressions if you can find them).

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I've been enjoying Belle Meade lately. Bulleit, Maker's, Knob Creek, and Evan Williams are my normal go to's, when not Watering an Absinthe.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
Picking a favorite bourbon is kinda like picking a favorite pipe tobacco. Pretty hard to say one favorite. I will say it was a whole lot easier back in the day when the average person didn't really care about bourbon. The specialty releases are incredible but getting impossible to pick up anymore. Leaving those off the list, my top five would be:
Blanton's

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel

Rock Hill Farms

Four Roses Single Barrel

Old Weller Antique

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I used to like this knob creek whiskey ... I could find it in the US, not so often in Europe.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
Granted this is a necrothread, but it's nice to see some whiskey drinkers after the long lasting thread about "why I quit drinking"..

Like G.L. Pease said regarding Quit Nights, "The sophisticated flavors and exotic aroma provide a wonderful backdrop for quiet moments of reflection, a good book, and if you are so inclined, perhaps a wee dram".

I do prefer smoking along with at least one wee dram.. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.