PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dechuckie

Lurker
Apr 23, 2014
Thanks for the great advice, all.
Should I get these tinned tobaccos stored elsewhere once their opened?
How long do I have with them before they start getting too dried out?
Do I want to "cellar" all of my tobaccos?

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I will second brudnods suggestions of 1Q and Shenandoah No. 76. The No 76 is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and smokes great for me. Very few relights.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An aromatic that took me by surprise (I rotate aros with English, Va Pers, and Va, burley, and Cavenish) was

Sutliff's The Great Outdoors. It was in a pipe show goody bag, and it is among the least expensive tinned

tobaccos. I just thought it would be pleasant but unremarkable. I went right through that tin and found it

full of flavor, dry smoking, and an even burn. I have some upscale blends aging in their tins, but this is

a good one.

dechuckie

Lurker
Apr 23, 2014
Thanks, guys.
I'm enjoying the 1Q, however, it does seem to be the same exact blend as Tinderbox's Wilshire.
I'm also liking C & D's Gentleman caller, but not too keen on the free samples of Autumn Evening (burned a little hot, and was much too sharp on the palate).
Stopped by Iwan Ries in Chicago and grabbed some Stanwell Vanilla (as well as a new Brigham 154), and I'm really enjoying that blend, however, it seems to have much stronger fruit notes than vanilla flavorings.

(If you ever get the chance to visit, Iwan Ries is a pipe smoker's DREAM).
I also have a can of MacClelland's Town Topic that's unopened, but it will be sampled soon.
Next up on my shopping list: Shenandoah No. 76, McClelland 35, and Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream.
Thanks for the great suggestions, all!

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
4Noggins' Trout Stream or 3 Blind Moose!
Great notes at the end of the smoke.
I've had a tin of Two Friends English Chocolate around forever. One of those tins that when you spot it, you think to yourself, "what the hell was I thinking ordering that!".
Turns out it is a Va/Lat that is quite delightful.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
I really enjoy Butter Berry from Milan's tobacco. It stays lit well and the taste and aroma is awesome.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok dechuckie, a suggestion. I too find some aros like Autumn Evening and others have a little too much casing, or flavor for me. So I end up mixing them with the 1-Q to make them a little more enjoyable for me. Mixing ratios run from 1:1 up to 1:4 with 1-Q being the 1 part. I find 1-Q a nice smoking neutral aro by itself, but lacking much flavor. So I've developed the habit of using it as a mixer a lot. You still get the flavor of the stronger cased tobacco, but a mellower easier smoking version. Seeing how you have a lot more of the 1-Q give it a try once and see if you like it. Not much to lose by a little experimenting.

Happy puffing.... :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.