PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Just been out to Abergavenny in Wales for a little trip, only saw to pipe smoking gents both Falcon Standards. Nobody talks about them very much are they any good and as cool (smoking) as they say on the website where they are for sail?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have two. My personal opinion is they are fine pipes. They are a little light in the mouth and difficult for me to clench. More than once I've flipped ash in my face trying to smoke and do something else.
falcon1_zps9c39bc6d.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Owen, do a search and you'll see how many of us own Falcons and love them. I own 6 of them, and my wife has 3 (a bantam, green straight, and a shillelagh). I also have a wonderful bent Dr Grabow Viking.
When I travel, I have a MM cob, a Falcon stem, and at least 3-4 extra bowls. They are a wonderful travel pipe, or just for kicking around. I have never had anything but a great smoke out of any of them.
This is an unsmoked Shillelagh that I bought:

These are my wife's Bantam (white stem) and a standard with Meerschaum bowls purchased through the Meerschaum Store.

You can't go wrong with a Falcon. Buy one that has little to no tooth chatter - there are plenty of them around, and are very easy to clean. Or if an estate doesn't appeal to you, you can buy a new one - I bought a new black stem, and my wife decided on a green stem (rather hard to find).

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
After reading 'Back from the Ashes' I sorely want a Falcon Hunter. If for no other reason, just as a travel pipe. Do they accept a standard pipe cleaner?

owen

May 28, 2014
Thanks guys I am convinced, great pictures. It is funny how when I started looking at pipes I felt no love for some brands of which falcon was one, but tastes change I like the idea of a variety of styles, sizes and materials but I will draw the line at carbon fibre pipes for now.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@owen, I was a non-believer at first, but as I saw more people show pictures and their love for the metallic pipes I figured what the hell.
I got my one and only Falcon (my thinking is why do you need tons when the bowls are interchangeable, but different strokes for different folks) and love the damn thing. One of my go-to everyday type pipes. I do get some odd looks at work when I break it out at the smoke shack.
I just wish the bowls didn't cost as much as an entire estate pipe though. $35+ for a bowl seems pricey to me.

owen

May 28, 2014
@cmdrmcbragg

They have just jumped to the front of the queue of pipes that I am slowly trying to purchase as I feel really smitten right now. There is a certain devil may care attitude about the people I see smoking these. Often on a packed bench in a busy town centre. Just getting down to business.
As you say regarding interchangeability I can try my first Meerschaum bowl, have just the bowl size I want depending on what I am doing and can strip it down on my work bench for a good fettle.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, I can't say I've regretted that purchase one bit. I do like it quite a bit though it took me awhile to come around to it.

owen

May 28, 2014
@plateauguy

those Meerschaum bowls are outstanding especially the one on your pipe

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Watch ebay, last year I picked up 8 bowls for around $20. Yep, they were estates and needed to be cleaned, but that's easily done. Gave a couple to friends, and still have a great rotation. I use Falcon pipe cleaners, because they fit a little better, and don't leave fuzz remnants in the stem.
If you're interested in color pipes, go to ebay.UK - that's where I bought my wife's green one. It's the very limited last batch of production, and they have no intent to reissue them. The black one was also an ebay purchase, and there seems to be plenty of brown and silver ones available. Perhaps it's just me, but a good estate seems to be made a little better than the new ones.
A Falcon, or even a Dr Grabow Viking is a good purchase. The Viking bowls are harder to find.

owen

May 28, 2014
Yes I looked at a couple of Grabow Vikings on Ebay earlier.

What is teeth chatter Guys?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Teeth chatter is essentially bite marks on the stem from clenching.
It took me awhile to try a Falcon. I used to work in a brick and mortar and we always sold Falcon's out quickly. Years later I picked up an estate Falcon and was surprised by how good they smoked. In fact, I smoked nothing but Falcons for a couple years but now they are an occasional smoke. They are really good travel pipes.
Like MikeS above, I use regular BJ Long cleaners and do not use the rings they provide. A small piece of pipe cleaner works just as well and does not obstruct the air flow like the rings can if not properly placed.
I prefer the black stems over the silver but they are harder to get. There is a fella from Estonia (Pricewin, I think) who sells the black stems. I've gotten a few off him and his prices are very reasonable.

owen

May 28, 2014
Thanks guys ive just bought one straight and one bent to try

owen

cstephen

Lurker
Jun 19, 2014
Falcons are my pipe of choice.

They make great travel pipes and you dobt get a feeling of hysteria if you drop one as they are very rugged.
I wont smoke nothing else and they make my two exclusive blends really sing.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I always associate Falcon pipes with a certain breed of individual who shares a love of ferrets, nylon shirts, flat hats and northern working mans clubs. My Father purchased one in the 1970s and somehow it was given to me. I could never get on with it, but then again my taste in pipes is pretty eclectic. I believe Falcon used to publish a soft back book on the history of the pipe as I think I have one somewhere or other!

Status
Not open for further replies.