PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I have had a number of tins of aged tobacco exhibit noticeable swelling and emit a satisfying woosh when opened, but I never had one pop with such force before!
I opened a tin of 18 year old Rattray's 7 Reserve (which is one of my favorites) and saw that the top was swollen but I was startled to be sprayed with tobacco as soon as I popped the tab.
The tobacco smelled wonderful and needless to say I recovered all I could. I like to let the contents of an old tin breathe for two or three days so I will find out tomorrow just what was the effect of all of that fermentation!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

If only it had had a warning label on it. Sorry, bad joke.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I don't remember where I saw the tip, but if you have a bulging tin, hold a cloth around your tin and hand as you open it to keep the contents from spraying all over.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The hole in the lid sounds like a plan. It would release all the pressure and the tobacco would be entirely contained (or nearly so). The cloth wrap sounds second best. I was going to suggest opening the bulging tin in a gallon ziplock type bag, but I think the hole is the best approach. No repacking the tin.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
An ice pick would make a hole big enough to release the pressure, but small enough to not let tobacco fly about. Once a rip type of lid is removed, it's pretty useless anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.