Search on Site

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hobie1dog

Preferred Member
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
alot of people just use their first names, so what about all you others who use a screen name that the rest of us have no idea where it came from or what it means?

ohin3

Preferred Member
Jun 2, 2010
Ohin3 came from a friend of mine. We talk on MSN alot and I have a habit of hitting the 3 while hitting enter. She has a habit of trying to type too fast and a recurring typo that comes out Ohin when typing Phil. There you have it...Ohin3!

surfmac211

Preferred Member
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I enjoy surfing and mac came from my last name and kinda nick name. My last name is McMinn pronounced MacMinn so all my buddies always called me Mac. Surfmac just stuck as a screen name all through high school.

igloo

Preferred Member
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
When we moved across country they lost our furniture . So we had to buy a new computer to look for jobs . My new computer desk was a lawn chair and a igloo cooler .When I purchased a game to play I needed a screen name , hence Igloo .Better than Gott .

ohin3

Preferred Member
Jun 2, 2010
One of my other popular screen names is directBooze. Needed a screen name for something one night and I looked down at the corner of my desk to find a direct box ( gear used for recording instruments direct to mixer ) and a glass of scotch. the scotch glass was covering the word box perfectly...so directBooze I became.

pstlpkr

Preferred Member
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I was a Jefferson County Security Officer for about 10 years.

One day I had to shoot a large rabid dog that was about to attack some of the road laborers.

I drew and fired western style and put 1 round behind his right ear from 112 feet.

He dropped on the spot.
After that everyone started referring to me as "The Pistol Packer".

bytor

Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Rush is one of my all-time favorite bands. "By-Tor and the Snow Dog" is one the songs off the "Fly By Night" album.
Not sure why I chose Bytor...I should have chosen Professor Pratt!

cortezattic

Preferred Member
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The screen name should really be the possessive: Cortez' attic.

It's from Goethe's tragedy, Faust, with an attic being a metaphor for the mind.

A stupid choice, really. I guess I was having one of my senior moments, which come all too frequently these days.

I'm gonna go have a bowl of H&H's Louisiana Red -- that'll make me feel better about it.

Now if I can only remember where I put that jar...

fred

Preferred Member
Mar 21, 2010
I've considered using a screen name, but I just keep coming

back to my real name. Life's experiences have taught me to

keep things simple....

classicgeek

Preferred Member
Apr 8, 2010
I've used "classicgeek" here and there for years. I'm a systems architect/programmer by trade (hence the geek) but I play classical guitar from time to time and between pipe smoking, hot shaving and other pursuits which recall a different age, I like to think I put a classic spin on the stereotype...
But you can all call me Simon. classicgeek doesn't mind.
Simon

hauntedmyst

Preferred Member
Feb 1, 2010
I’m a fairly flatulent fellow, always have been. Some people can bend spoons with their mind, I can do it by breaking wind after eating strong cheese. One night, I was out with the boys tying one on and eating White Castle hamburgers (forbidden to be sold in Iraq due to their gastronomical potential to be turned into a chemical weapon) and came home and fell asleep on the couch. Well, the body does what it needs to do and I woke with the need to recycle. I was sitting on the can producing a lethal fog in the room (naturally, I am immune to it). I didn’t know grandma was staying over and she wandered into the bath room after I was done with it. The rest of the family knows to hit the venting button (not your average vent, but an industrial one). She lost her sense of smell in the big war and with the lights out, didn’t see the mist hanging in there. Being 97, she didn’t have the strength to make it back out. The EMT’s arrived, put on their HAZMAT suits and dragged her out and sealed the room to contain the environment. From then on, during the middle of the night, you can see grandma’s ghost in there, surrounded by the mist. Hence the name, HauntedMyst.

chuckw

Preferred Member
Oct 7, 2009
I'm easy. chuckw for Chuck Wright. On SF, I'm known as Truckerchuck, another easy one. I spent my life on the road behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler.

birdy

May 19, 2010
birdy- My beloved pet parrot that flew away from my house three years ago.

I missed him alot and i felt extremely sad whenever i think of it.

classicgeek

Preferred Member
Apr 8, 2010
@dunendian:
That's very interesting. Every time I saw your screen name I was reminded of Tolkien's work with creating languages for Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion. dun-adan: "Man of the West", dun-edain plural. Tolkien's languages were based on Old English, which as I understand it is closer to Finnish than Germanic or Romantic languages.
Makes me want to pick up the Silmarillion again.
Simon

jcosmoasp

Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
J Cosmo Asp: Given the name "The Asp"in college in part due to a sharp-tongued, quick wit and partly in honor of one of Daddy Warbuck's (Orphan Annie) scary friends who made people and problems disappear. I added the J Cosmo so I could use it as an alias in the late 60s and early 70s.
From Wikipedia: "Other major characters include Warbucks' right-hand men, Punjab, an eight-foot native of India, introduced in 1935, and the Asp, an inscrutably generalized East Asian, who first appeared in 1937."