PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
How are you packing your pipe? I gravity fill, tamp down to 1/2 the bowl height, gravity fill again to just over the top, then just tamp it down to about 1/8" from the rim of the bowl. I find this is a great way to pack if you are smoking aros since they are wetter and thus will smoke even hotter with too hard of a pack.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I am using the 3 pack? 1st like a baby, 2nd a woman 3rd a man.......

I think i might be too much the man, tonight will be gravity 2x like you described.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you consistently have this problem, you probably are smoking too fast - and maybe a looser pack would help, too. Slow down - relax - enjoy. :puffy:

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I am drawing as slow as i can but i feel I am smoking fast to keep the pipe lit. Logic dictated a tight pack would result in a lit pipe, I may be all upside down on this logic. I thought a loose pack would be a faster, hotter burn. still learning...............

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Packing one too tight is easy to do. I use a method of my own I think. It could be someone elses idea. Just hold the pipe over the pouch or bowl and sprinkle the baccy into the pipe until its full like gravity filling. Then tap the side of the bowl alittle to get it to settle to about 1/8 below the top then take a small pinch and stuff it into the top of the pipe and push it neatly down to just below the rim. Then light don't use your tongue to draw on the pipe like drinking from a straw. Slighly move your bottom jaw down as if you where going to open your mouth, but keep your lips sealed around the pipe bit.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
In any kind of tasting, less is more. Remember that your mouth only gets sweet, salty, bitter, sour and umami. When you try to get a lot of smoke, you actually miss the aromas and only get the steam and carbon. If you use lots of perfume, you only smell the alcohol in it. Try the tasting with very, very little cold smoke in the mouth and from the pipe, and mix that smoke in the mouth with air, that will put the aromas in the nose. Let that little smoke out, slowly, pushing with the tongue, not with the breath.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
Just throwing it out there, but if you are a person who enjoys a fine drink and has a decent palate for it, aromatics may not be your bag. I was once told by an experienced pipe man that "Tobacco is like liquor, a drinker evolves from Vodka to Bourbons to Gins to Scotch. Smokers evolve from Aromatics to Englishes to Matured Virginias." I've found that there is a lot of truth to that. Go out and give some English and Virginia blends a try. The first time I crossed over from aromatics (which were leaving me bored and I was constantly trying new flavors hoping that I would discover some flavor) to English blends I was in love. I really tasted the latakia, my mouth exploded with flavor. For a long time I wouldn't smoke anything without large portions of the leaf. Eventually, I found out that Virginias were also amazing. Now I smoke every type of tobacco and can really taste the difference. Interestingly, now that my palate has developed, when I revisit those bland aromatics that used to leave me flat, I find that I am really enjoying the experience because I now can taste all the wonderful flavors that they produce.

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
Sprinkling, tapping and then a pinch is my favoured packing method too. Try exhaling the smoke very gently through the nose and you'll "taste" it at the back of the nose.
See what I did there? I put the two best posts together to make one and made myself look like an expert.
Seriously, both of the above will make a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.