PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I got this old NOS Everyman and went to clean it...there is no draft hole! I tried to poke a cleaner thru, wouldn't budge. I can't tell if there is a draft hole and it's just covered up with the coating or what. What should I do

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Take a drill bit that will fit in the shank and see if you can break through whatever is blocking the draft hole. Do this by hand first, no drill, and see if that will do it. A small sharp scribe will also work.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This is a previously smoked pipe, yes? If so it could be hardened bits of tobacco that dried in the stummel. Many pipe tools have a pick that could be used.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Remove the stem and look in the mortise. If you see a draft hole then very likely it was drilled and just covered up with coating. If, for some odd reason, a draft hole was started, but never finished through to the bowl, just match a drill bit to the existing hole size and drill through to the bowl. If the hole is already started that will guide your bit on the proper angle. If you've used a drill before this will be a piece of cake. If you're not comfortable with tools I suppose you can return it.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Edit: Obviously a hole was started as you tried to run a pipe cleaner down it. Again, it's probably just covered up so use a nail, drill bit or scribe to break through the coating in the bowl.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
If its NOS they might just put it in the reject box without having finished it. I have several unfinished pipes from an old factory which don´t ha a draft hole. Fixed that with my drill press....

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
It definitely has no a hole looking in the bowl, but I need to find a flash light to see if I can see one down the shank

Status
Not open for further replies.