PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Some of us use Everclear Grain Alcohol to clean the stems of our pipes, and there is some mystique about it in areas where the product is not available for sale. But as of July 1, the 75 proof version of the potent potable can be bought in every state of the union—except Vermont.
More info here.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Some make their own 'blends' by adding flavorings and water. I think I will leave the blending to the masters though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've only ever bought the 190 proof. Use it for pipes, and drink this. :mrgreen:
img_20130826_132905-600x450.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
I bought a bottle of Everclear for cleaning once, but at $40 CAD it was the most expensive cleaner I've ever bought, and it evaporated from the bottle surprisingly quickly.

99% Isopropyl Alcohol is readily available around here so there's no need to look for anything else for cleaning.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
For pipe cleaning, only Everclear 190 proof or Rum 151 proof.

Either Everclear or high-proof Rum may be used in making delicious homemade Kahlua, better & cheaper than the commercial brand.

I've used Everclear to make homemade Peppermint Schnapps (with homegrown peppermint), Limoncello, & Anisette. I may try to make herbal Digestifs or Bitters as well.
Isopropyl alcohol leaves an aftertaste. If I can't drink it, I won't use it to clean my pipes.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Why do they make this? Does anyone ever drink it?
Orley, My friends and I drink a lot of it. We make LimonCello and Apple Pie out of it. Delicious and just a few sips can really liven up the night(or end it rather quickly). haha

Mar 1, 2014
Isopropyl Alcohol evaporates completely and is not harmful in trace amounts (thus is primarily used for rubbing on your skin).
I wouldn't use it to on a pipe immediately before smoking it again but as a daily cleaning agent it's the best thing you can get in most parts of the world (unless you really like drinking your cleaning supplies).

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I used Global 94% Alcohol to clean pipes. Infused with honey and black currants. I also used to sip it from time to time)))
00090076_is

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Everclear is great for topping tobacco. You can soak your natural flavorings in it, slightly heat them under pressure, and then mix with some distilled water to give the tobacco a new taste.
However, at this point, I am skeptical of anything but light flavorings, because unlike tobacco they can be harsh on the throat, and other than having the air be less stinky, really offer nothing much.
I like some aromatics, but have to dilute them with lots of Burley to avoid the negative consequences of the toppings.
However -- this is the whole point of this post! -- if you want to experiment with toppings, get some vanilla beans (Costco and Target have them) and soak them in Everclear for a few weeks. Mix 50-50 with distilled water and apply to a 3:1:1 dark burley, light burley and Virginias mix. Best OTC you never knew existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.