Ever Have A Blend "Click" And Be Everything You've Been Looking For?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

algenib

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Orlando, FL
I finally tried SG Full Virginia Flake, and it's just perfect. I won't go on about all the notes, as enough has been said about FVF already, but I finally found a thick, cool, sweet, straight Virginia, and I just had to share with people who understand how satisfying this is.
I started smoking a pipe when I was 18, after I was gifted one by my mother for my birthday, and quickly went straight to English blends after a tin or two of aros. I wanted to prove I legitimately enjoyed the experience, and wasn't just some affected teenager, pretending to be classy just because I owned a hunk of briar. But I never quite got on with English blends. I enjoy them, sure, but eventually I gave up pipe smoking all together for a couple of years after I grew tired of smoking heavy, complicated blends every day.
I'd never read too many favorable things about cobs until I stumbled on this forum, and after hearing they offered great smokes, I decided to get a few and try out some Virginia blends. And I'm so glad I did. They were exactly what I was looking for, but I was still chasing that perfect tobacco until I decided to buy a tin of FVF. It's everything I've wanted in a tobacco, even if it's not the most complex blend around.
I'm just really happy, and was wondering if anyone else has ever had a similar experience.

andypandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2013
Oslo, Norway
Don't think I've had the pleasure of a similar experience yet, but I'm glad you had one and chose to share it with us. Congratulations and enjoy. :)
I'll be including SG FVF in my next TAD.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums! :clap:
As I look back over my past adventures with pipes and tobacco,

I think I can say that many blends have "clicked" as my tastes have evolved.
If you ever want a change of pace from FVF, try SG/Medium Virginia Flake.

(In the tin format it's called Golden Glow.) Same quality.
Feel the itch for more complexity? SG/St. James Flake. Outstanding VaPer.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I have had similar experiences with McClelland's Deep Hollow and also as Aromatics go I really like Black Cordial, its easy to smoke smells good and actually tastes like something. A rarity for Aromatics.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
FVF comes up Sooooo much ... and I have yet to throw it in a TAD. It sounds right up my alley too!
As far as a "click" tobacco, I'll say +1 Cortez ... and many clicks to pass brothers! :puffy:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The first bowl of Dunhill's London Mixure I had was transformative, it was the most Oriental forward blend I had tried up until then. The complexities of flavor were so interesting and delicious that I immediately began to stock it, as I still do to this day. It isn't my absolute favorite tobacco, but when I get a craving for lots of Orientals that is the tin I reach for.
Highly Reccomended!

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I've been wandering through the aromatic forest and Nording Hunters Blend Labrador came close but it is a little goopy. Then I found 4th Generation 1957. Nirvana! :worship:
Dave

algenib

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Orlando, FL
Thanks for the recommendations and welcome, Cortez! I'll definitely add those to my next TAD order. I'm especially interested in the St. James, but it looks like P&C is out of stock for the time being. Hope that changes soon.
philobeddoe - I've avoided oriental forward blends something fierce for some reason. I've never really understood why. Maybe because I just don't see many people talking about them, so I never gave them much thought. Definitely going to throw a tin of LM in the basket and see how I like it!

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
A few months ago I tried GH Bob's Chocolate Flake for the first time. From the first puff this blend just nailed everything I love in a tobacco. I love how the latakia provides just the right level of smokiness along with the virginias and hints of cocoa that come and go throughout the bowl. Nothing like a typical aromatic at all. For me it's just perfect.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
First of all, Al, welcome to the forum. We're all mighty glad to have you with us. I think I felt that way the first time I tried Frog Morton. Of course, the first time I tried a pipe, it was one I liberated from my father's desk, along with some of his tobacco. It wasn't an "aha" moment, but I do remember thinking: "you know, this stuff is pretty good."

As you go on, you will discover many more wonderful things in the world of pipe smoking. Thank you so much for sharing this first one with us, and we hope you'll be able to do so again and again over the coming years.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome to the forum first off! As much as FVF gets talked about around here, you'd think I would have tried it by now, but I haven't. I'm sure I will at some point though.

As for the experience, I'd say I've had that with blends in several different genres. To name a few, Mac Baren "Navy Flake" and "Roll Cake", McClelland "Blue Mountain" Frog Morton Cellar, On The Town and Original", and H&H "Mazatec". I've tried a lot of blends, some I liked and some I didn't, but a few have come to be outstanding in my mind! There are more than the ones I just named, but we'd be here all day if I went on about all of them, lol!

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
So far, the only blend that has really clicked with me is Altadis Blue Note. It's an aro that I've been smoking for 8 years now. To me, it's everything a pipe tobacco is supposed to taste and smell like. I would guess that's because when I would see a pipe smoker when I was a child that's what it smelled like to me. And I remember my grandfathers pipes smelled the same way. There are a few Virginias that I enjoy on occasion but I smoke blue note daily.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
For me it was billy budd, didnt like it too much at first but once it airs out for a couple weeks in the jar it becomes the smokiest, latakiatastic tobacco I've ever had. Zero tongue bite as well.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I've had several that have hit me as perfect then something comes along like a change in the weather and something else seems perfect right then too. At different times, it's been SG St James Flake, Condor Long Cut (my current favorite but with supply problems), Sextant, and Lancer Slices. For a while, I think of cellaring that one tobacco exclusively and then I move on.
I equate it all to food and drink. I have favorites (and more than one thing) but sometimes you are just in the mood for something else specific. That's why I have 21 jars on my shelf currently.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
+1 for the St. James Flake. I have yet to find another tobacco that satisfies the way it does. Every time I think I have found something better I realize I was wrong and go back to it.
I agree with jgriff on the variety, having a bunch different jars I dip into, but never stray far from St. James Flake.
For English blends, the first that really clicked with me was Dunhill's Standard Mixture Medium.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I actually JUST had this happen with some Black Shag in a cob. I don't know what it was, since this isn't a terribly uncommon combo for me, but today it was a damn near perfect smoke. It probably didn't hurt that it's gorgeous out right now (which is a welcome change from typical January-in-Maine weather, thus improving pretty much everything about the day so far, outlook on life included), and my normally crappy and noisy neighborhood was nice and quiet. Hoorah! :puffy:

algenib

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'll be adding all these tobaccos recommended to my TAD list. Really excited to try them all.
Moses - whereabouts in Maine are you? I'm living in FL at the moment, but I'll be moving up to Portland soon-ish.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I found this thread to be particularly interesting. It should be subtitled de gustibus. Here are a number of smokers of varying degrees of experience telling us about the tobacco that really sent them soaring to the heights. It proves a point: we're all different, our dna varies, we have different sensory perceptions, and what titillates the senses of one leaves the other flat. And the good news is that we have so many different tobaccos to meet these needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.