Ever Buy Get A Bic That Acts Like A Flamethrower?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So I buy bics to keep in the car and around the office and house just to have something within reach. I still use my Kiribi all the time, but I don't typically pull it out in the car.
A month or more ago, when at the corner convenience store, I threw in another Bic lighter with my coffee. This thing throws out a flame like a damn flamethrower and I haven't been able to use it much. I swear the flame looks like it's 2 damn inches long! What do you do if you get one like this, just be real careful or not use it at all? Still never quite mastered the whole "hold the flame above the tobacco about an inch and use the super heat" method. Half the time the works, the other half, my tobacco laughs at me and flips me the bird.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Holding the flame above and drawing it down works well with a softer flame. If your Bic is shooting out a forceful jet like an F-22 climbing altitude, it will be hard to "pull" that flame down to the tobacco using your suction through the pipe.
In the good ol' days before we were all incapable of taking personal responsibility, there were nice adjustment levers on Bic lighters so you could customize flame height.
Fortunately, in this litigious age, since you were sold a "defective" item, just set your beard on fire and enjoy the lawsuit...
#flamingchrchwarden :laughat:
jay-roger.jpg

EDIT: Shoulda known, Ash would be here in seconds like a moth to the...well, you get it!

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
When we were kids we would make bic's work like flame throwers.

The +- tab simply turns the threaded nozzle a quarter turn so we would

remove the metal shield, lift the adjustment tab and unscrew the nozzle a turn or two.

Just do the same but tighten the nozzle slightly if it's wort the effort.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
In my experience, a lot of the standard, full-sized, ovaloid Bics will have a big ass flame when brand new, but it should settle down eventually. I use Bics pretty much exclusively because I tend to lose nicer lighters. I just try to be careful for those first few smokes with them.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Fortunately, in this litigious age, since you were sold a "defective" item, just set your beard on fire and enjoy the lawsuit...
#flamingchrchwarden :laughat:
I think I might cry... But, the money would make me feel better. I almost actually did trying to light my Carolina Gent with it today. Damn gust of wind came and felt the heat on my nose.
This one is about a month old using roughly twice a day in the car...
20190727_132209-371x600.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
LOL. Yeah, I find they usually they settle down to something a bit more normal after a day or two, but if yours hasn't done that, and you can't use it, may as well chuck it or give it to a cigarette smoker. Maybe try the smaller versions?

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Husky, those adjustment features are no longer there.

I would be surprised it the nozzle is not still threaded and can be adjusted?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Press fit with no remaining remnants of the old adjustment features. I have, out of boredom and curiosity, dissected them to see.
Damned liability lawyers...
jay-roger.jpg

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
I had to check mine. They are not BiC but are made by Unilight and they are adjustable.

Must be an american legal issue?

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
My grandson showed me a trick the other day. He wanted to show me how to make the Bic flare up, but said I should get a cheaper version as they do have the + and -.

While flaring my bic to roasting stage, he just eased off, and the flame grew softer.

Now, I'm not sure my geezer fingers are capable of easing off the gas pedal, but you might give it a try.

Who knows?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yeah, bought a few of those and they've charred at least four of my pipes' rims; don't care for the cobs, but they charred my priced Curvy. Evil things. And more evil the manufacturers that don't put flame regulators on them anymore.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Some of the cheapie transparent disposables still have flame adjustment things. But they tend to run out much quicker than Bics, IMO.
Buy the refillable ones, they are transparent for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.