PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Seldom, do you know, if the sale is also available for German customers? I have not yet an account to check that.
I can not find a sale with my German account. I even opened a new account with an American address and can not see a sale with that account either. I also can not find HU Director's Cut in bulk.
Although I've ordered from Esteval's in the past it has never been in huge quantities. Perhaps this is some kind of sale for people buying large amounts of tobacco?
Edit: I see a "special offers" tab on the home page of Estervals. However it brings up a huge number of offers (1684) but I can't seem to find a search feature for just the sale stuff nor a way to sort the results. I've scrolled through some of it and so far it has been pipes and cigars. It could be that the sale stuff is hidden there. When I go to the pipe tobacco the usual way it doesn't indicate anything on sale. I'm using a Mac so it may be easier with a PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: burleyboy

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I logged in and went through every page of the special offers, and didn't find any 30% sale - it's mostly cigars and pipes. I'm seeing the same prices as in logs's screenshot on the HU page. I'm also not seeing bulk Director's Cut (or bulk anything) anywhere. Capstan is much cheaper than on US sites, though.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I can not find a sale with my German account. I even opened a new account with an American address and can not see a sale with that account either. I also can not find HU Director's Cut in bulk.
Although I've ordered from Esteval's in the past it has never been in huge quantities. Perhaps this is some kind of sale for people buying large amounts of tobacco?
Edit: I see a "special offers" tab on the home page of Estervals. However it brings up a huge number of offers (1684) but I can't seem to find a search feature for just the sale stuff nor a way to sort the results. I've scrolled through some of it and so far it has been pipes and cigars. It could be that the sale stuff is hidden there. When I go to the pipe tobacco the usual way it doesn't indicate anything on sale. I'm using a Mac so it may be easier with a PC.
That's odd. I just signed onto the site and the discount percentages are all there as are 1000gm bags of Director's Cut, and 250 gm bags of Director's Cut that weren't available yesterday. And, I got my shipping notice yesterday as well. 1000gm of Director's Cut for 120 Euros, which works out to about $13.49 USD for each 100gm, a heck of a savings over the standard price of around $21 per 100gm tin.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
But I asked myself: Do I really want to spend more money on more tobacco that I will never smoke?
I have this same issue, an over abundance of great tins already in my “cellar”. More than I will ever use. Consequently, I had this same internal conversation today. No, I don’t need any more tobacco, at all. Ever. However, despite all reason, I still really wanted to order a few tins I have been hearing about. So, after some intense negotiations I came up with a win/win deal with myself that will soothe both my conscience and make financial sense. I will sell an equal number of ridiculously overvalued older tins in my collection, use the proceeds to finance my purchase and then bank the profits. After reaching this agreement with myself I felt free to go ahead and place an order.
Whew!

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
That‘s really mysterious. I don’t find anything neither. Thanks for your efforts, Seldom and Sable’!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
That's odd. I just signed onto the site and the discount percentages are all there

Yeah, that's totally different from what I get. Even after I go to checkout, none of those lovely red dots or foil packages are showing. That must be only for holders of the Sable Card or something. Thanks, though!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have this same issue, an over abundance of great tins already in my “cellar”. More than I will ever use. Consequently, I had this same internal conversation today. No, I don’t need any more tobacco, at all. Ever. However, despite all reason, I still really wanted to order a few tins I have been hearing about. So, after some intense negotiations I came up with a win/win deal with myself that will soothe both my conscience and make financial sense. I will sell an equal number of ridiculously overvalued older tins in my collection, use the proceeds to finance my purchase and then bank the profits. After reaching this agreement with myself I felt free to go ahead and place an order.
Whew!
Yeah, I will probably do this with some of my stash, sell off something I like for something I like better.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I'm looking at the English-language version with dollars, and Director's Cut is $20.89 for a 100-gram tin VAT-free. Which is also not a bad deal, really. My guess is that it's because I'm a first-time customer - don't have access to the goodies yet.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
My guess is that it's because I'm a first-time customer - don't have access to the goodies yet.
That may be the problem. My American account is just opened. I've had my German account for awhile, but there is a law in Germany that prevents selling tobacco for significantly more or less than the price on the tax strip. It may be that only folks from outside of Germany who have ordered before are able to see the sale.

Director's Cut may be my favorite blend. 1kg for 120 is a great price. Thank you for your efforts Sable.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Checked Estervals again and it's displaying the discount price that Sable was talking about. What changed between now and a few hours ago?? Hell if I know.

Same here! But just with my newly created American account. I then went in and changed my address to the one in Germany. Upon doing this a 19% tax was added. So the 1kg Director's Cut went from 120€ to 142,80€ but with free shipping.
Again, thank you Sable for alerting us to this!

Burleyboy quote below so you are alerted.
That‘s really mysterious. I don’t find anything neither. Thanks for your efforts, Seldom and Sable’!

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thank you very much, Seldom! This is still a great price. So I am going to create an American Account today evening and check their offerings!

Another thanks to Sable again!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
The prices are nice for sure, but shipping to the US is $41. Is there a “free shipping on orders over...” amount to exceed, or anything like that?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Anyone know if these also get subjected to import tax at customs in the US?

Really looking for a reason not to pick up some new blends!
They could. But it all depends of the port of entry, the phase of the moon, whether the Customs Officer is in a good mood, what the tea leaves say. I know guys who are making large purchases of tobaccos from the EU on a regular basis who have yet to be assessed so much as a penny, and others who get charged as a matter of course.
There doesn't seem to be any standard.

Reactions: spartacus
Status
Not open for further replies.