PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I wanted to share the before and after pictures of two recent estate pipes that I have been working on. I posted one of them before but figured I would lump it in with the one I just finished. The most recent is an unknown with only the work COLLASSAL on the shank and a horse's head on the stem. It has some fills and not the greatest grain, but it appears to be drilled well and has super thick walls. It is by far the largest pipe I own. Let me know how I did. Enjoy!

image-8_zpsafc915b8.jpg

image-8_zps19d2ed53.jpg

image-8_zps03097c16.jpg

image-8_zps8b8d70cd.jpg

This is the one that I posted before. I had my first bowl in it today, and it smokes pretty well.

image-8_zps83cc2d39.jpg

image-8_zpsede03e81.jpg

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
It's an Aldo Velani Cortina. The stem and band are beautiful in person.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Ah thank you papipeguy! I looked all over and couldn't find hardly anything. That is the same logo so now I have something to go on.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Thank you all for the compliments. In my other hobby stripping the finish off an original piece is very frowned upon so I didn't know if I was going about this the right way. They do look and feel much better now though.
Well done. You may have found your calling.
I rather enjoy the process of restoring these pipes. The hardest part is finding good used pipes locally that I can fix up and aren't pipes I could walk into my local smoke shop and buy (grabows and such).
One thing I haven't been able to figure out though is how to tell what material your stem is made of. Obviously those two pipes have different stem materials, but how do you tell when it is just a black stem?

Status
Not open for further replies.