PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Penzance was one of my favorites back then. Naturally I attempted to purchase some after my comeback only to realize that this stuff is impossible to find. What is the problem? Is Esoterica out of business? Can't they produce more or don't they want to to keep demand an prizes high? I understand that it's a small company. Not producing more may be a sound business policy (marginal costs, quality assurance etc.) but it's just frustrating.

May 31, 2012
I only started with pipe several years ago,

when I first started, Esoterica was fairly available,

I remember Tilbury and Dorchester being 2 of my early faves...
...but, I think at some point, due to the pipe boom I guess, demand outstripped supply and they've been playing catch-up ever since, the situation may have also been aggravated by the high dollar aftermarket - many people would buy the stuff because they knew they could flip it for a profit, and the big 2 always sell out in a manner of literal minutes - there may even be a few bad apples in the distro network who keep it to sell only on the aftermarket, who knows? But as of late, ebay has seemed to crack down on all that and Esoterica listings are only a fraction of what they were, maybe it'll help?
See also:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/looking-for-krumble-kake
&
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/esoterica-tobacciana-a-history
:puffy:

Reactions: rehall100

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The link provided by misterlowercase really sums it up. It's a small, privately held firm that does things the old way, and doesn't intend to change. Rather refreshing, in this day and age. (I miss Penzance,too - I still have a couple of tins stashed away.)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Years ago you could buy Penznace, Stonehaven, and pretty much anything else without any difficulty. Then, about 6-7 years ago, there was a shortfall in the amount shipped which resulted in a full blown panic that has not subsided. When production resumed, hoarding became common. eBay scalping hasn't helped, and demand has increased.
All of this interferes with the staff's ability to spend time fishing and sleeping in the afternoon, which in turn makes them feel cross. The only solution for this is for the workers to take long walks along the beach. Every now and then they pop in to see if the doors are still open and if their paycheck is ready.
One of my friends in the UK put it this way, Germains is considered "unreliable". Lovely understatement.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
According to tobacco cellar the 3rd and 4th most cellared blends are Penzance and Stonehaven.
If people didn't panic buy perhaps there would be enough to round?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That would be curious, Pylorns. I would more easily concede that they are the 3rd and 4th most SOUGHT after tobaccos.
Eventually, the ready supply of other tobaccos will naturally push them out of the top cellared positions.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
So what is the NEXT Esoterica? What should we stock up on now to have for tomorrow. I know what I am stocking up on what about you guys? (Guys is a blanket statement not meant to rule out anyone of the female persuasion)

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Esoterica products are indeed very elusive. I was fortunate to acquire a small amount from a good fellow when the last batch was released. Hopefully you will be able to secure some on the next go round. :puffy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
If people didn't panic buy perhaps there would be enough to round?
It's a tad too late for that now as the ball is rolling and it's only going to snowball further. Both Penzance and Stonehaven are good tobaccos, but certainly nothing to get an erection over in my opinion. If by chance I happen to run across either of them at a fair price ($38.00+-) I'll most certainly grab a bag (which I've done in the past), but other than that it's nothing that I obsess about in the least. There are way too many other easily obtainable good tobaccos out there that are just as good, if not better, to satisfy my palate. Kinda makes life easier... :|

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm guilty of this. If I see any for sale online or B&M I buy all of it they'll let me. I LOVE the stuff. If it helps, after cleaning out a store, I do feel kinda bad about it for a lil bit.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Occasionally, a member will give us a heads up when a B&M has it in stock. Of course, that B&M then sells out in the next few minutes to the next few hours. I was able to get a bag of Stonehaven after reading a member's tip.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
The problem is that there are only 6 people who work at the factory.
... and four of them are part time workers while one has been on family leave for the past eight years.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Aha! We have met the enemy and it is us. Or, at least iamn8! I'm sure there are others who do the same and then laugh up their sleeves at those of you who bemoan the lack of product. Either that or they sit giggling in their massive, well stocked cellars. Cellars which contain more than one person could possibly smoke in a lifetime and nary a thought of sharing with those who have tighter limits on the old credit card. And, if they do share, it is with an air of condescension.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Warren, you've been a loyal and faithful subject for quite some time. This 24th Day of 2015, I shall bequeath to thee a small pittance of Penzance. Now, please kiss my ring and be off. :nana:
Please know I'm kidding. I was gifted a bag when I'd never tried it previously and now I'm a junkie

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm not a huge fan of hoarding, I say buy your bag, or two at the most, then leave some for the rest of those that would like some too. The people that hoard it the most are the same ones that complain about it's lack of availability. You're a victim of your own doing.
I find very little value in both Penzance and Stonehaven. I've tried both of them and don't need to smoke anymore to know that I don't need to chase that unicorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.