PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
If anyone is interested, Kingsmokingpipesandcigars, also goes by Big Apple Cigars are selling 1oz bags of Penzance $9.99 limit 1 per customer.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
If anyone is interested, Kingsmokingpipesandcigars, also goes by Big Apple Cigars are selling 1oz bags of Penzance $9.99 limit 1 per customer.
They were offering it all day yesterday, appears to all have been sold. :)

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
17oz??? my total was 14.95 shipped to Ohio. Yeah I missed all the sales working out of town. Can't believe esoterica sells out so fast.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's the "unicorn/white whale" effect. A decade or so ago, it wasn't that hard to find any of them.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tip of the hat to Big Apple Cigars.
This smoke has become a white whale and the seller apparently opened a number of 16 oz. bags to give even more people a taste. The seller makes a nice profit and a few more smokers can afford to try an albeit pricey but very hard to find blend.
But, here's the altruism test. Would the seller slice up a similarly sized bag of Stonehaven for all the Captain Ahabs? I'm going to guess absolutely not. SH in 25 years will fetch a much higher price as a bunch of you VA whores scramble around to recapture your youth.
I love capitalism and I especially love playing the long game. (It's just another IRA with a twist. Thank you, Harris.)
Fnord

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
But, here's the altruism test.
For a commercial enterprise? Unlikely.
I do not believe in altruism. I believe that good people do what they can to set the order of life right. This is not so much goodwill towards others, as goodwill towards life itself. It is admirable.
Visible altruism is too often self-interest.
As far as these white unicorn whale tobaccos, I could not be happier. More interest, more energy and more drama helps to fuel the pipe club.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
For a commercial enterprise? Unlikely.
Concur. My local guy sells Penzance for $36 a bag (Stonehaven as well) and seems to have no problem stocking it (yes, that's not common). So $10/oz is $80/bag, not a bad deal. But it still is a nice option to be able to get a pinch for a trial at a reasonable price for smokers not so advantaged.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
But, here's the altruism test. Would the seller slice up a similarly sized bag of Stonehaven for all the Captain Ahabs? I'm going to guess absolutely not. SH in 25 years will fetch a much higher price as a bunch of you VA whores scramble around to recapture your youth.
I love capitalism and I especially love playing the long game. (It's just another IRA with a twist. Thank you, Harris.)
Jim,
You may be right! I remember when no one really cared all that much about any of the Esoterica blends. They were just another option, easily obtainable at your local B&M. Then Penzance became a rising star, but not a cause célébre. Once Germain's stopped shipping on a reliable basis in 2007-8, Penzance panic set in and has not abated to this day. But even then, it was a few more years before Stonehaven mania set in, Now these two good but not fabulous blends, made by a firm too small to handle its commitments, have become objects of obsessive desire. Stonehaven may become the greater coin of the realm in future years, especially after it and the other Esoterica blends go out of production. But selling off your unobtainium may prove to be trickier than thought if Internet sales are banned. So support your pipes shows! They may become your best bet for gouging the hell out of your fellow obsessives.

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
Yeah, I was glad to see an offer like this. All my online retailers where sold out when I received the notification. My local B&M said they are expecting a shipment any day. They sell Penzance for $23.95 for a 2 oz tin plus tax. And they said they have a wait list of standing orders, any left over stock, they will sell to the non-regulars, Or Cherry pickers as the B&M put it.
I only wanted a little sample to see what all the excitement is about.

Oct 7, 2016
@sablebrush, just what committments did Germain fail to keep when Arango acquired, 8 or 10 years ago, Mike Buteras contractual rights to distribute certain Germain "white label" blends? Did Arangos deal with Butera require Germain to suddenly up their production just because Arango has a much larger distribution network than a hobbyists like Butera ever managed, or even thought possible, to build? Is Germain, as we speak and at any time in the period they have dealt with Steve Richman, Mike Butera or Arango , in breach of any obligation to deliver any required amount of product to whoever has the US rights to the line?

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Grabbed and ounce and some hal' o the wynd. We'll see, although I can't imagine it being better than Quiet Nights.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"They may become your best bet for gouging the hell out of your fellow obsessives."
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Fnord

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Last week I walked into the B&M and bought an 8 oz bag and a tin of penzance. Total amount $48.00. The price went up a little since last year, I wonder if that will continue to rise..

Status
Not open for further replies.