PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I think I'm not lucky with pipes recently. I ordered not so long ago a Nørding pipe, a beautiful bent, Danish style bulldog and what I received...I had no words. I have never seen any pipe drilled so badly, not even home-made one. I was very surprised, as Nørding has a name in the "pipe industry".
IMG_20190424_202332_zps9hyjfaai.jpg

IMG_20190424_202241_zpsy5rt4cdw.jpg

IMG_20190424_202224_zps4endy6ef.jpg

IMG_20190424_202214_zpschl4e9if.jpg

I bought it at Danish Pipe Shop and I can't tell any bad things about them, they handled the situation very professionally. They will forward the pipe back to Nørding, they immediately made a contact with him. I will send back this pipe today to them but my exchange-pipe, a Vauen is already on its way to me without any extra costs. Hopefully I will be more lucky this time with the pipe. As I said, I'm very satisfied with Danish Pipe Shop's customer support, but it is still very strange (at least in my opinion) that noone noticed this error - not at Nørding manufacture and neither at Danish Pipe Shop; even though they made studio photography about this exact pipe.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Yep, that's a bad job alright but it seems like the Danish Pipe Shop is sorting it out quite nicely for you. I can't imagine how such an obviously dire piece of workmanship gets out of the factory gates. Surely the person who did it couldn't have failed to notice it. Perhaps they were celebrating something the night before. Who knows.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Gawd. Mistakes do slip through every now & then, but something like that from Nording's works? The mind boggles, just boggles (probably because I myself have such a high opinion of Nording; never had a substandard one. Ever.). Truly sorry for your misfortune. I'm glad DPS is fixing the bollocks so well, although I admit I'm a little puzzled why *they* didn't catch it either....
Bill

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
@Bill, My thoughts, exactly. I'm glad that you have never met anything bad from Nørding. For me, this was the first one from him, but also maybe the last one...at least for a while - and this pipe is not from the cheap-end of his product range. As I'm saying, I'm not so lucky with pipes nowadays. I had two petesons with issues and now this. Although I have never had any problem with Savinelli, Brebbia, Winsløw nor any basket pipes so if we look from this side, I'm very lucky. :) During next week I will receive a Brebbia, a Vauen and a Missouri Meerschaum Dagner cob, so we will see.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Ah, Brebbias. :) "They don't get no respect." I love 'em. And Savs even more so. I suppose poorly drilled Winslows exist but I've never heard of one (Lord, I'd HOPE not!! -laugh-) I don't blame you one bit for being leery of Erik's stuff it your first one was junk. :( What kind of Brebbia & Vauen are you expecting?
B

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
@Bill, I fell in love with meerschaum-lined pipes so both Vauen and Brebbia are with meer bowl. Vauen is a very classical bent billiard meer-lined (Meerschaumeinsatzpfeife 7015) and the Brebbia is a little bit more playful (although again a classical bent billiard-shape) Sun meer-lined 6002.

Vauen-Meerschaum-lined-no-7015-Bent-Army-Style-The-Danish-Pipe-Shop-img-21131-w1100-h814_zpstbnh98fk.jpg

Vauen-Meerschaum-lined-no-7015-Bent-Army-Style-The-Danish-Pipe-Shop-img-21133-w1100-h588_zpsxn5vnov6.jpg

SUN006002_1_zpsocfvs8uu.jpg

SUN006002_4_zpsiehxeka8.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Gorgeous! I like the Breb in particular. (I don't have anything against military bits, just nothing for them either. Never got into he habit, as it were! -laugh-) Thanks f/t pics!

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
@Bill, Until now I haven't had any pipes with army mount, so this will be the first one. But you know, you need to start somewhere. :)

Brebbia is a true beauty, right.

All of My Nordings are asymmetrical to some degree, even his machine made Valhalla Series. But, even the copies have matching slants to one side or another, so it is obvious that it is intentional. But, I don't think your Nording in the first set of pictures is intentional. I can't tell what exactly is going on in the first pic, but it kind of looks like maybe something slipped as that cap piece was shaped. Too bad. Enjoy your other two pipes. And, I'm glad that the pipe shop set things right.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Thanks, I will enjoy the others! I know, a handmade pipe will always have some asimmetry and flaws and I have no problem with that, but this is too much asimmetry on this pipe. The end of the stem (mouthpiece) should be at least close to the middle. On the first photo I tried to show how asimmetric the drilling is - with not so much success, it seems - sorry for the bad photos.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great customer service anyway. My Nordings have been excellent, but I imagine they ship a stinker from time to time. At least this story has a happy ending.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One theory could be that when sales fluctuate upward quality control sags. Change throws off the rhythm and supervision of manufacture. What do you think?

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I'm not sure, as I have no other experience with Nørding. This can be a separate, individual case, or just part of general downgrade of their pipes' quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.