Epic Fail: Attempt To Do Too Much As a Noob “Restorer” Not!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
3 Fresh Mike Sebastian Bay Pipes
24 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thank goodness this is a $9.00 pipe! Bowl reamed, stumble cleaned with Murphy’s oil soap, sand with micro mesh, rub a bit of mineral oil, salt alcohol soaking... all good so far.

Stem, soaked in oxiclean, sanded all the way through micro mesh pads 12000. Rouge, obsidian oil, wipe, wax, buff, looks good... pipe cleaner won’t pass. Add alcohol (to stem not me) no go. Ahhh maybe a wire will go through, saw a bit and break up whatever is clogging. Wire, no problem. Okay what if I wrap wire around bristle pipe cleaner, mid way through wire, pull through. Okay wire through, pipe cleaner not so much! Genius, pull harder... add alcohol to stem, pull...pop! Top of button flies off. Wait it gets worse....

Attempt to super glue piece back as it fits perfectly. Tiny dab of super glue around edges...and thumb stuck to stem! Sand skin off and call it a day! Hopefully the bowl will come out nice and I can have the stem replaced by a pro. Live and learn. Pipe pics are the before pics.2729

Reactions: SpookedPiper

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Any time I have a clogged stem on a restoration I straighten it before attempting to clear the clog.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If hot water soak, poking wire through each end, and several repeats don't do it, what chasing said is the way to go. If you replace the stem, you'll have spent far more than the original cost. Worth it? Or just keep working on it. You've done the hardest part!

Nice illustrations. Good luck!

Reactions: Chasing Embers

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, it’s toast I think. The gluing didn’t quite work. I don’t think this stem can be fixed. It was not clogged! It just seems like it was a super tight airway. Lesson is don’t force stuff. When you get stuck slow down or go get help.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I never thought of that, good idea jpmcwjr.

Here’s the finished bowl waxed with paragon, buffed with clean wheel on a drill. I wonder if stripping and staining with saddle or dark brown fiebings would make this look better? I’m not doing anything unless the stem can be fixed. Again, $9.00 to experiment with is still a bargain for a,ll that I’m learning.

Attachments

• C6ED799B-A1F7-4E83-9117-E11E74FC112C.jpeg
    C6ED799B-A1F7-4E83-9117-E11E74FC112C.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 9A779D6E-8158-4173-A3CE-1EA5826AFD61.jpeg
    9A779D6E-8158-4173-A3CE-1EA5826AFD61.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 7

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A pro could do a replacement stem for about $30, probably, but if you are out for education, you might try to craft one yourself. This pipe may not benefit from all your efforts, but you might learn restoration in the process. It takes a lot of patience and time I don't have, but it could be fun and worth it for other pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I myself wouldn't put more energy into this pipe, unless you are doing it for learning. Not a bad looker, but I don't think refinishing will make it a $50 pipe.

c6ed799b-a1f7-4e83-9117-e11e74fc112c-jpeg.2759

PS- Please post the full size images, not thumbnails.

Reactions: jttnk

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I did the exact same thing to the stem of a pipe I carved a few months ago. I was trying to open up the airway a little with a needle file and broke a piece off the button and the bottom of the stem. The airway was definitely more open.

I tried Crazy Glue first, but it failed when I put a pipe cleaner through the stem. I tried again with Loctite Super Glue Gel, and that did the trick. Sanded/polished it, put a little black Feibing's dye around the crack's outline, then carnauba wax. it's not perfect, but it has survived numerous pipe cleaners and isn't noticeable. 2767

Reactions: SpookedPiper

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Ollie.
I myself wouldn't put more energy into this pipe, unless you are doing it for learning. Not a bad looker, but I don't think refinishing will make it a $50 pipe.

c6ed799b-a1f7-4e83-9117-e11e74fc112c-jpeg.2759

PS- Please post the full size images, not thumbnails.
[/QUOTE

I am not sure how I posted thumbnails not pics. I’ll do some homework. For sure not spending more effort on this one. It’s ehhhh okay for the project experience, but not that great looking.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Yeah, it’s toast I think. The gluing didn’t quite work. I don’t think this stem can be fixed. It was not clogged! It just seems like it was a super tight airway. Lesson is don’t force stuff. When you get stuck slow down or go get help.

jt, since the stem is shot anyway, if you want you can send it to me and I'll see if I can make it usable. I can't guarantee success, but I'll give it a shot.
Besides, being retired I have plenty of time. Plus when they decided it was safe to let me out, the nice people at the hospital said I should keep myself occupied with little projects so I don't get....um, agitated.

Last edited:

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Gerryp. I appreciate the offer. I’m going to see how I feel about the pipe for a bit (no pun intended). If I decide to finish it or “invest” more in it I will pm you and take you up on your offer. Jason.

Reactions: gerryp
Status
Not open for further replies.