PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
There was a bit of a discussion on another thread about Mylar bags that related to PG and its antimicrobial properties. I thought I'd start a new thread to try to confuse, er I mean to clarify a few things. The concern was that if PG is an antimicrobial then aging tobacco with PG would be a waste of time if you were hoping for an improvement in flavor.
So; From the book " Physiology and Biochemistry of Tobacco Plants" by T.C. Tso
" A chemical study, covering a 30 month period of an aging process of several groups of constituents, shows that there was an increase in moisture and a decrease in sugar, total nitrogen, water soluble nitrogen, total acids and pH. It is believed that the aging of flue cured tobacco is essentially a chemical process.. between sugars and amino compounds."
Further on he says: " Cigar filler.. Peroxidase activity decreased rapidly for 6 weeks. Detectable activity persists during storage for as long as 5 years"
and.. "Burley... involves both chemical and enzymes.."
So, it seems that the addition of the antimicrobial PG should not affect the long term aging of tobacco in tins. Note too that Flue cured tobacco is what pipe smokers typically call "Virginia"

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Interesting that people claim aged tobacco is sweeter, yet the fact is there is a decrease in sugars

(which would also be true if microbes were metabolizing them).

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
I have heard sweeter but I see people describe aged as more mellow. I recently just popped some FVF that had a few years on and it has certainly become a more mellow less harsh sweetness. Mellowing due to the lower sugar content?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I knew I should have taken chemistry instead of physics in high school. Though physics was way more fun,

and I had a cute girl for a lab partner, though she liked to make sardonic remarks about my future as a physicist/NOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.