Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Greta and I came over to see my son and the grandkids. He's a Chinese Analyst with the Air Force on Oahu...Had a great time- did some sailing on the North Shore, paddled on a couple of rivers, and finally found a place to light up a pipe outside the resort- it's not the most smoker friendly place... Here are a couple of pics-

sevh1y.jpg

2lsuo90.jpg

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
That's awesome. Love that you and your son get to share in the hobby together. Thanks for sharing.
PS Hawaii is amazing, I've been there only once, but it was one of the best weeks of my life.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Looks great. Haven't been back in 20 years.
Have fun!
Also that's a great looking pipe your smoking.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
He doesn't look Chinese.
Nope, born and raised in Tennessee. He spent 18 months in the Defense Language Institute in Monterey studying Mandarin Chinese. He's actually an intelligence analyst with the AF....and that's all I know about what he does...
Also that's a great looking pipe your smoking.
Thanks- it's one of my favorite designs I make- a reverse Calabash Snapping Turtle-

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Zack, congrats on the trip to Hawaii. I am glad you got to enjoy Oahu. I love it there. I know exactly what you son-in-law does. Grad of DLI, 1996 myself. Tell him to keep up the good work, even if he is Air Force... kidding!

:wink:

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Looks like you are having a great time with your family. I grew up in Hawaii and miss the ocean terribly.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good on you, Zack! Great place, great photos, great family. And sailing to boot!
I drove by the Defense Language Institute in Monterey just this morning!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hats off to any Monterey DLI grad. It just might be one of the best deep immersion language schools in the world: from D1 you're addressed in the assigned language and nothing but the assigned language. You've got to grab a root and growl.
Is he a career man for the USAF, Zack? Many, many international companies would pay dearly for his language skills alone - even more considering the security clearances I'm sure he holds. He'll do damned well in the private sector if he's so inclined.
Fnord

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
what's you son smoking, a Dr.Grabow?
Nope, one of my Cherrywood sitters with a Black Palm cap on it...
Is he a career man for the USAF, Zack? Many, many international companies would pay dearly for his language skills alone
Hard to say- he was a high school Spanish teacher before he joined and he tested out of that language at the DLI. He's applied for an embassy staff position lasting 3 years in Madrid which would be an amazing job. If that doesn't work, he finishing up his 2nd Masters, so he'll have plenty of options....

Status
Not open for further replies.