Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
Dunhill (Light) Flake will be missed.
Other than that, I just thought they sold ties and briefcases anymore....

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I will miss Dunhill. I'm relatively new to the pipe smoking hobby, and Dunhill 965 was the first non-aro that I smoked. I fell in love with it, that and Elizabethan. Later I tried more of their blends and also fell in love. Currently I have sealed and open tins of 965, Aperitif, BB1938, Royal Yacht, Standard Mix, London Mix and Durbar, I also buy 965 by the pound. I do branch out to other brands. I've been disappointed by either the flavor, cut, moisture content, or presentation of a lot of companies. I can't believe the rave reviews and following of some of the stuff I've tried. (I don't want to start pointing out brands) I have also found some stuff I like a lot, but there is typically something about it I don't like. (cut, moisture, presentation) I really like SG Squadron Leader (bought a pound), HH Latakia Flake, Irish Flake, Escudo, Old Dublin. I have several tins of mixes I've bought, but haven't tried yet. (Commonwealth, Cabbie's Mixture, Solent Mixture, Skiff Mixture, Bothy Mixture, Acadian Mixture, Montgomery) Although I have found mixes I enjoy a lot, I always find myself coming back to the Dunhill mixes. The flavor, cut, moisture, and presentation is just superior, In my opinion. There are some mixes I have my eye on from C&D, Mac Baren, and GL Pease that I want to try.
That stated; I can't possibly stock up enough to last me forever, so I'm finding mixes I enjoy a lot to fill the void in my rotation. I'm going to try some of the Match tobaccos and see how they are. My pipe dream is that Dunhill doesn't go away, gets sold to someone that cares, or STG starts making clones of the blends.
In closing, Dunhill was my first love, and I will miss her.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
My most recent and beloved Dunhill discover was that of Dark Flake and I would guess there ain't no much substitudes to it,if not that Rattray's Marlin does not fit this bill,though says this has cavendish tobacco in it

other than that,I'm not too bothered if Dunhill stops,since most Dunhills contain latakia in some degree,and so far I do happen to anticipate this leaf in any give proportion, sad but could not help this..

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
There are just so many blends out there. Every Dunhill blend I've tried I enjoyed but have never bought a second tin, except for 965, I bought two and smoked one and the second tin has been in my cabinet for two years now. I really enjoyed BB1938 and would buy again if it was on sale. There are just so many good alternatives. We are spoiled by choice I think.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Mr Davet, yes I do agree with you and just forgot to mention about this BB1938 me too I did find it acceptable and interesting mix,after some bolws I did come to liking it.In the past i did lots of Dh Standard mixture, but most always they tasted me little bit too punchy and harsh meanwhile just recently when I smoked Peteron irish flake I did found it being an interesting nicotine hammer but never had it tasting harsh or punchy like what It was with these aforementiond basic englishes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The only one I'm at a loss for is Royal Yacht! Anyone have a good suggestion?
No, unfortunately. The closest I have come is mixing Brown Twist Sliced with Hal O' The Wynd, but there is nothing quite like the original.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
BB1938 (and all other Dunhill tins) are currently on sale at P&C: 25% off.
Nice. How long are they doing it? Also, where on their site do you see it listed, other than clicking on the Dunhill tobacco you want, then it says there is a buy 3 get 1 sale? I don't see it listed under specials.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just for fun, is there an MBA in the house (that's a masters in business administration) who can explain how a well-established brand, Dunhill pipe tobacco, can be closed down without being resold for a goodly sum? My only guesses would be that the brand is burdened with substantial debt, which seems somewhat unlikely, or a precipitous decline in the market, which seems possible but hardly imminent, maybe for the smaller blending outfits but not for this old line. Whether it would be worth a few million or considerably more, I don't know. But how is it worth nothing? The dot-coms still sell, sometimes for billions, before they've made any money at all. I don't need a white paper, but a few lines, a few clues, would be worth mulling. This would be an interesting case study for an MBA course.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The case study isn't complete! We've only heard they're shutting down the brand, but I don't believe it. I do believe it'll get sold. OTOH, the reason they may bury Dunhill tobaccos is some big corporate statement to show how enlightened they are.... Not something that translates into net present value or other financial concepts.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm a bit surprised at you guys' reaction to this. Of course there are many other blends out there, but DUNHILL makes some the most reliably wonderful blends out there. This trendy reaction of saying conglomerate blah blah big business blah blah corporation blah blah. It wasn't until we got word of the tobacco going away that I've seen this reaction to Dunhill tobacco. Pipes? Yes, the pipes, but never the tobacco. I understand, but don't get it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nate, I admit I'm in denial. 'Can't believe this old line is going to disappear in a cloud of smoke as it were. So I keep thinking of the reasons it won't happen, or trying to digest the idea that it might. For starters, it just doesn't make business sense, seemingly, so that is my handle on it. The emotional attachment, I don't know what to do about that.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
You don't need an MBA to see the writing on the wall. These companies think in 25 year increments. How many mba's do you think were screaming at the the leaders of cvs when the decision was made to walk from 2 billion dollars a year in tobacco sales? By getting out of the tobacco business they feel they'll end up stronger in the long run. I could possibly see someone buying the rights to Dunhill if they didn't have to pay the FDA but they will have to. I see it as a long shot.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It was inevitable. Tobacco use is in its last era as far as the World Health Organization and the FDA are concerned. In fifty years, pipes will be interesting curiosities that no one will remember what they were used for.

tardisbasher

Lurker
Jun 6, 2010
The thing about all this that really worries me is how relatively quickly it's all be signed and sealed as it were....and who could be next. If tobacco bigotry and corporate business has managed to topple a Goliath like Dunhill....well....they'd just better keep their mitts off of Condor and Gawith and Hoggarth or this timid little piper will find the nearest tobacco nazi and shove his Falcon semi bent where the sun doesn't shine.

To be serious again these are worrying times.

Status
Not open for further replies.