PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I'm not too upset. The tobacco is just going the same way as the rest of the company, another victim of the bureaucratization of tobacco bigotry. It would be different if the compamny was still really Dunhill. I've tried a few blends and none of them really greatly rocked my world in a way that I cannot find something else, least of which was RY, and I actually looked at new Dunhill pipes just last night and the prices were 4-6X the cost of similar pipes except they don't have the Dunhill mystique and I can't find anyone who will tell me it actually smoked 6X better.
Those bitter dregs aside, it greatly saddens me to see such an icon fall, and my only thought is that in the year or so remaining and the hopes that the brand might somehow get picked up, for those who are truly great lovers, I would hope that someone out there tries to see what match they can come up with to copy some of the better blends! For while the brand might be discontinuing, nothing IN those blends is going anywhere!

As far as the Dunhill White Spots go, wait till you go to a show and see hundreds of the exact same pipe on the table. Then watch them load them all back up at the end of the show. For years I have been saying that Dunhills can ask the prices the want, because there is such a demand... free market and all of that, but after going to shows and NOT seeing these mass produced pipes sell like hotcakes, or donuts, or even licorice for that matter, I am certain that Dunhills have to get such a high price to offset the costs of not selling so many pipes. So, you're paying for the exclusivity of a table full of pipes just like the one you buy, that no one else wanted to buy.

Does that make sense?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Brian Levine shared his thoughts on BAT's decision a couple or few weeks ago. His explanation made sense to me. BAT licenses use of the name Dunhill. The money they receive from the licensing is a pittance in their eyes, but the licensing entails some risks. When the reward is small, why assume any risk?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Just after I posted my previous comment a bolt of optimism struck me. Seeing that BAT owns the name but does not produce the blends, the producers have a real incentive to supply the demand for as long as they can. In other words, there will be plenty of stock to cellar in the coming months.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
The Dunhill brand has been living off it's history and mystery for so long. The tobacco has changed manufacturers several times and NO ONE can tell me who carves their pipes.
I know I am beating a dead horse but if you live in the US, even with the FDA, there are literally 1000 blends and any number of pipes available.
No need to be a sucker for a marque that lost its meaning years ago.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The tobacco has changed manufacturers several times and NO ONE can tell me who carves their pipes.
Depends on the era. Dunhill bought bowls made by BBB very early on, as well as bowls turned by carvers in St Claude. This was a common practice in England in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Decades later they were outsourcing to Italy. Lorenzo is one of the factories that gets mentioned when I talk to dealers. Dunhill was turning out enormous amounts of pipes over the years.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Thanks, Cortez, I have tried the MATCH Revelation and love that stuff, have pounds of it, I will check out some of those as well. You see, if Dunhill is to disappear off the shelves, what is the point trying it now? If I buy 20 tins of a Dunhill and learn to love it, in 6 months of smoking it, it is gone, used up, and I'm right back to where I started. Just as with Esoterica, why waste time worrying about tobacco that is disappearing or never available when I look? I am only prolonging (by a slight measure) my eventual disappointment.
If someone can make a good Esoterica or Dunhill clone that actually WILL be on the shelves, they deserve my business to help KEEP IT THERE.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
No company's exit strategy would merely walk away from such a name brand revenue stream.
I have to agree here. However, raised costs in EU and US may mean it is simply not worth it to stay in business as producer or licensor.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I can find matches (or better) for nightcap, EMP, etc. I suppose capstan blue might substitute for Dunhill flake, but I'm not sure how the deeming rules will effect that blend, either. The only one I'm at a loss for is Royal Yacht! Anyone have a good suggestion?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
As of right now I'm deep in research and testing a sauce for Royal Yacht.

Currently I've had to press plums, steal cow shit from a local farm, age day old left over coffee, and use perique juice from a spittoon.

I'm thinking bat crap may bring it into its own.
Salute the Yacht!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Actually, I rather like day old strong coffee, so long as it was stored in a carafe. Got some now. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You've got it all wrong. The secret ingredient comes from the scrapings and condensed liquid out of the bilge of a formerly royal yacht.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Currently I've had to press plums, steal cow shit from a local farm, age day old left over coffee, and use perique juice from a spittoon.

I'm thinking bat crap may bring it into its own.
Yes, guano. That must be the missing ingredient! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.