PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
Dump out excess immediately, then run pipe cleaners through the stem and bowl passageways, then swab out the bowl with another pipe cleaner, reassemble, the blow air through stem and bowl.
I use this same routine, except I don't take the stem off.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
hobie1dog said:
Dump out excess immediately, then run pipe cleaners through the stem and bowl passageways, then swab out the bowl with another pipe cleaner, reassemble, the blow air through stem and bowl

I use this same routine, except I don't take the stem off.

Taking the stem out as little as possible, within reason, seems a good path. (Stems and mortises can change shape slightly, but enough to make the fit too tight—or too loose.)

Reactions: Spa32

newdave61

Lurker
Aug 31, 2018
Taking the stem out as little as possible, within reason, seems a good path. (Stems and mortises can change shape slightly, but enough to make the fit too tight—or too loose.)
Yep, I only remove the stem when I start sensing sourness. When this happens, I do a deep clean of the stem and bowl with pipe cleaners soaked in Everclear. After the initial soaking I'll scrub with the pipe cleaners dry until the stop picking up color.

After every smoke I run dry cleaners through the stem and bowl, and use a saliva-moistened Q-tip on the rim.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
right after the bowl is done. rarely smoke to the ash. using the other end of tamper to empty the bowl. tap the dottles out. run two pipe cleaners through, both ends. bend the cleaner in half and clean the bowl. use paper towel to clean the bowl again. polish the stem, bowl, and band. make sure the button is clean.

Reactions: tobefrank and Spa32
Status
Not open for further replies.