PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nptrucker

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
As a newer pipe smoker, I have been wondering when to remove the tobacco left at the bottom of the bowl when done smoking. Do I remove it while the pipe is warm, wait till it's cool, or doesn't matter?
Am I being anal?

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chasing Embers

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I smoke only 2-3 bowls a week, so I empty my pipe as soon as I'm done smoking. I flush hot water through it, wipe out the bowl with a paper towel and run a pipe cleaner through it. It's all part of my routine.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I smoke only 2-3 bowls a week, so I empty my pipe as soon as I'm done smoking. I flush hot water through it, wipe out the bowl with a paper towel and run a pipe cleaner through it. It's all part of my routine.
I follow the same routine, except for the water part. I, however, do let the pipe cool before I dump the dottle. Guess I shouldn't do that anymore, and just tap the contents out as soon as I tamp it out instead. My blends aren't that moist, but every now and then I do smoke some Lane's.

Reactions: anotherbob

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Yes, I smoke only 2-3 bowls a week and I have probably a dozen pipes in my rotation. I may smoke a certain pipe today and not smoke it again for weeks. I don't build any cake.
That's an impressive routine. From reading and learning here I assume a hot flush is not terrible but after every bowl? I would worry that it would be too much but your experience tells otherwise. Thanks ?

• Love

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes, I smoke only 2-3 bowls a week and I have probably a dozen pipes in my rotation. I may smoke a certain pipe today and not smoke it again for weeks. I don't build any cake.
I smoke the same pipe twice per day for a week before changing pipes, sometimes for over a month. Run a cleaner through the stem and wipe out the chamber with a paper towel after each smoke. No cake here either.

Nptrucker

Lurker
Nov 1, 2019
I guess dumping it out right away is the answer. Never thought about the moisture situation. I smoke mostly English and Vaper that is reletivly dry but still moisture from mouth and heat vaper I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.