Elizabethan match an example of good VaPer?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hi guys, New piper here and I'm mostly an aromatic guy. I have Dunhill Nightcap for my personal example of a decent english blend and im wondering if Elizabethan match by Sutliff is a good blend for me to decide whether or not I like a Virginia blend.

It is as good as any to see whether you like VaPer genre. However, as in all of the genres, the range is vast between golden bright Virginias to deep dark strong African Virginias, red Virginias, and then there are the VaPers. Elizabethan is as good as any to get a start. Many will mention Escudo as the archetype, but honestly, the range in the Virginia, VaPers categories are huge. I don't see any one blend as being the benchmark or archetype. I try to find something I like in all of them that I try. Some are just better on my tastebuds than others.

Reactions: gamzultovah

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Nope just branching out to get a general idea of the different blends. I should be getting some Billy Bud soon too :)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
the range is vast between golden bright Virginias to deep dark strong African Virginias, red Virginias, and then there are the VaPers
This one is crucial to me. Virginias have wide variety. I like the darker varieties, especially when pressed and sometimes stoved. Also key to why the GH ropes are so much fun.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
My two favorites are Escudo and SG St James Flake. If you want to try a sweet vaper, I would recommend McClellan Black Parrot. All these three are flakes.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Second on all the above comments about range, best thing is to experiment with a bunch of different VaPers and see what you like. Not only do Virginias come in a wide variety but the addition of Perique effects each one differently, it's truly weird and wonderful stuff Perique. If you're adventurous you might want to buy a tiny amount of blending Perique and give it a try straight. I did this in a clay I use for sampling and it definitely gives you a feel for what it adds to a blend.

Mar 1, 2014
I found Elizabethan Match to have a lot of flavour, and since it's ribbon cut it burns much easier than the flakes.
It's still a bit different from a regular VaPer though, reviewers note it has an unusual smell, even for tobacco, but I think that adds mystique to an otherwise ordinary product.

Definitely worth a try.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If you are going to delve into vapers then start with the one all others are judged by, Escudo. If you are not into flakes then go for GL Pease Haddo's Delight, great flavors.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You can't go wrong with McClelland bulk 2015 or GLP Telegraph Hill as fine examples of the VaPer genre. I was never a fan of Elizabethan as a Va Per myself and can't add anything about match blend.
Mike S.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don't recommend the Dunhill version. It's very grassy with not that much perique, unlike the earlier version or the Match, both of which are better. There are much better introductory VaPers than the Dunhill.
If you want some idea of what perique will do, try the Elizabethan Match, but try a few others, too, because the use and spice content of perique will vary with different blends. For that reason, I suggest blends that are not heavily topped or have a high perique content for your first forays. I will echo Cigrmaster's suggestion of Escudo, which has more spice than the Match we've discussed, but not enough to knock you off your feet. Hearth & Home Rolando's Own, and Viprati are two other VaPers you may want to try.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Keep in mind I'm a Rum/Per devotee. My appreciation for Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture is based on more than its Perique content. It's just a well-balanced, flavorful, all-day blend.
I'll have to try the match, although most Sutliff tobaccos seem a bit "Budweiser" to me :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This might be a good thread in which to link to a really popular thread posted at a cigar site.

This very informative thread is a VaPer Showdown created by a poster named Slow Triathlete.

It's probably a "must read" for folks wanting to explore the world of VaPers.

Reactions: MikeDub

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I'll have to try the match, although most Sutliff tobaccos seem a bit "Budweiser" to me :)

I've read alot of reviews where people that have smoked both prefer the Sutliff match, and it's way cheaper. I wouldn't put this present incarnation of dunhill blends very high on quality, although I do enjoy them. For the price of them especially in bulk there's alot better quality to be had for cheaper.
@Itstone I would also recommend trying more than one blend to decide if you like that style or not. Especially in the VaPer and straight Va category, they are all quite different. African Va vs. American Va are whole different things.

What makes up 90% of the differences between VaPers is a combination of casing for the Virginia and the ratio of the perique. Then you have burleys and orientals added to some, different cures and processes, flake v ribbon, and some is even topped. The range os as varried as latakia blends and orientals together. If you get a bug for perique, try it straight just to get an idea for what it is, and then jump into the sea of blends amd tale off. I could smoke just VaPers and be happy with the subtle ranges of nuances, flavors, and differences of stregnth. I've met a few that I liked more than others, but never one that I genuinely hated.
Jump on in, the water is warm!

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
+1 on the Telegraph Hill. Good strength and taste as well. PS - LNF is good and priced right. I would take that one over the Elizibithan Match.

Status
Not open for further replies.