PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm intrigued by U.S. factory pipe manufacturing, so I occasionally try to track the status on the various companies. Today (9/28/2015) I went to the Edwards site to see what they offered. Of course, you have to dodge several sites related to industrial pipe manufacture, as in water and gas pipes, etc. I was curious about Edwards because for years they were the supplier of economy priced Algerian briar pipes sold as Iwan Ries house pipes. The house pipe page at Iwan Ries still pictures these pipes, but the entire array is all designated temporarily out of stock, all of them, for about two years now. At their own website, Edwards still advertises four or five series of pipe, including seconds, on their pipe page, but as near as I can tell, there is no way to bring up specs or prices on the individual pipes. Instead, you are invited to contact them by phone for a first order. This by-phone only approach suggests a slowing of sales, but I am guessing. Does anyone have any further information on Edwards and its pipes? I have three of them from Iwan Ries, and they are nicely made and good smokers. I hope the company is holding on.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
As far as I know the original location in Tampa, Fl. is still going strong. I think the 3rd or 4th location is also up and running in Atlanta,Ga.Although I haven't been to the Atlanta location in a few years. Not sure about their Edward's Algerian house pipe currently, but have several old ones and like you said there great smokers. Mine came from Edward's though. Hope this helps.
Cheers,--Eric

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
PipeDreamer, this makes me wonder if Edwards is making house pipes for one of the other online retailers. There's some reason why there's no availability at their longtime house pipe outlet at Iwan Ries, and much reduced marketing at their own website. I remember when they had a whole selection of their pipes with specs and photos of each shape, if my memory serves me. Or maybe they're into export? I guess part of turning a profit is not sharing your marketing plan.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
mso489, I haven't been up to date with Edward's pipe and Tobacco much in the last few years, but like you said they use to be famous for their Algerian Briar and were highly sought after for their smokability. As bad as I hate to say it, I hope what you are seeing is not a sign of the times. Sad indeed!
Cheers,--Eric

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
MSO, I run into the same thing you did while looking for Edwards pipes three months ago. I called several areas the country trying to track some down, but no luck. I finally talked with someone at the Fla. store, I'll include my post:
"I just talked with someone at Edwards Pipe and Tobacco in Tampa, Fla. They shouldn't call it that anymore since they don't have but a few pipes left. They said that the one's they do have are made in Italy now and probably use Italian briar, not the Algerian briar they used to use.

He also said that they are having a hard time getting anyone to make pipes for them because everyone wants $40,000-$50,000 up front, and they are not wiling to do that. So, I guess if you want an Edwards pipe, you need to look elsewhere"

Or buy used.
POSTED 3 MONTHS AGO #

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks max, that's fascinating. Edwards has gone to Italy (and France etc.) with everyone else. The U.S. pipe industry has nearly disintegrated. I tried to do my part yesterday by ordering a Dr. Grabow Royalton pot from tobaccopipes.com after seeing a post of both the old abandoned Dr. G factory and the current one, on Forums. We'd better hang onto what's left of our pipe makers. Artisanal carvers are a wonderful group, but they can only really serve the higher end buyers or those willing to hunt out the carvers who sell for somewhat less but don't sell widely. I think Kaywoodie, Yello-Bole and Medico are still made in the U.S., and of course Missouri Meerschaum, and Old Dominion which is almost artisanal (or is). The U.S.factory pipe has become a rare breed. I think your earlier post explains the Iwan Ries Exclusives (house pipes) lack of any inventory. They can't get another house pipe contract going, but they want to hold out the possibility. Still, I think they would be wise to simply have a blank page and admit they are working on re-instating house pipes. As it is now, it just looks peculiar. Then there is Falcon, which started in the U.S. and moved to England -- at least that's a unique migration! I feel there is room for some "young Turks" to re-start U.S. factory pipes, out in the county or in a small town somewhere, maybe living in the back of the workshop floor for a while. There is a thriving, if small, cadre of pipe smokers who could be won over by well-made, reasonably priced factory pipes made in-country. With online sales, a small town location would not be a deal breaker. Hey, buy an U.S. factory pipe, save the domestic briars. Or import one to where you live.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I have really fallen in love with Ehrlich pipes recently. I bought one from P&C two years ago and thought of it only as a good Billard and was a good smoker. But after having hit and miss smokes with several of my other pipes and the old Ehrlich was always on point, I got more intrigued. I now own a pot/Billard (not sure) and a Lovat (not yet smoked, just finished cleaning it and sanitizing) first smoke will be tonight with gaslight. I find the old brick and mortar style shops fascinating and a real piece of American history. Regardless of the pipes that were mass produced were foreign blanks. I've gotten to perceive them as "nothing fancy, just humble"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
aggravatedfarmer, do you know how widespread the foreign blanks were in U.S. factory pipes? I always had the impression that many U.S. factory pipes were turned here. For example, the Dr. Grabow thread currently running has a video that shows pipes being turned. I think the Kaywoodie/Yello-Bole/Medico pipes are domestically turned, as were/are the Edwards briars, before they emigrated. Tinder Box, on the other hand, imported most of its house pipes entirely with no finishing in the U.S. at all. Which brands were entirely based on foreign blanks, do you know? It's somewhat like "U.S." automobiles with 85% or more of the parts produced beyond the borders, sometimes hard to track. I think some Japanese cars assembled in the U.S. may have more U.S. parts than some U.S. cars. Mazdas are half-and-half, with engines and transmissions completed in Japan but the rest of the car assembled stateside.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I recently found an Edwards Poker in an antique store paid 9.00$ for it. I tried to find some info on it. I has the number stamped on the right side. As I am writing this I am smoking it. I would like to find more about this Pipe.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
@MSO I have read that Comoy's have sold blanks to Ehrlich. I think I have read somewhere that most British pipe makers sold their lower grade bulk stock to American factories. The catch 22 was what you explained. Foreign goods, American assembled. However if you are a guy buying a pipe brand new back in the day, you'd most likely want to walk into a shop and pick one up rather than ordering a Dunhill from England. In today's market these erican pipes are just as good of a smoker at a fraction of the price. Are they less desirable and perhaps not turned by famous makers? Yes, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy them more than a famous pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.