PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Hey, I owe a debt of thanks to you guys. I had five tubs of EGR (Sutliffe) and a couple of old knife lid 16 ounce tins of EGR on my website for more than two weeks without so much as a nibble. Then, yesterday and today I started getting all these orders for the stuff. I sold the last tub just a short while ago. Although I didn't much care for either the old or the new variety of EGR, everyone's taste buds are different. And it wouldn't be one of the old classics if it didn't have something going for it that appealed to the masses.
I think the reason we are seeing so few OTC blends surviving is because there is so much really good tobacco to choose from these days from various blenders around the world. Also, back when EGR was enjoying the spotlight, the computer age had not sprung up allowing people to make purchases from places other than their local drug and grocery stores.
Best,

Pipestud

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
Shelby Foote, the great Civil War historian, smoked EGR mixed with rough-cut burley as his preferred smoke, if I remember correctly. I have always wanted to try some, but, like so many, was unwilling to buy a tub to sample it. I'd love it if Sutliff would put it out in smaller tins.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Joeahearn:

You should write the company and request they do that. Also, I'm going to send a link to this thread to the Sutliff rep who kindly gifted me a tub of EGR that started this off. Hopefully, he'll read these posts and be able to do something about it. By my count, 11 people have bought tubs now, not including the vintage stuff Pipestud sold. I hope the rep's bosses will take note of this. I want to see EGR continue to be made so people like me can continue to smoke it.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Here's what "Gillywalker" wrote: "Now I'm a relatively new pipe smoker
I had a fellow pipe smoker take me to task over my affection for OTC blends once. When I pressed, he revealed that he was a new smoker and he usually smoked once a week, to once every two weeks, but never less than once a month. But he'd been doing that for almost a year...
I find that strange, because he carries Velvet, Middleton's Cherry blend and, Mixture 79, all of which have as bad or worse reviews than EGR.
While I am no fan of M79, I think Velvet and MCB are great smokes! I've learned to sift through tobacco reviews, looking for reviewers that align with my tastes and sensibilities. EGR certainly sounds like something I'd like based on Jim and Thuber's recent reviews. Thanks gents.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
While I am no fan of M79, I think Velvet and MCB are great smokes!

That was kind of my point, just because a few people don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. He should get a few tubs and offer them for sale. He could open one tub for bulk sales and the rest as is. If he sells out of the bulk, he could open another tub. You know the old saying "Run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes".

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Supdog: I made that very suggestion to Rich, but as I've been the only one who's ever asked for it, he was reluctant to try it. In fact, he had never heard of it until I asked him to carry it. I think if a few more people asked him about it, he might break down and do as you suggest. What have you got to lose by asking him?

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
That was kind of my point, just because a few people don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. He should get a few tubs and offer them for sale. He could open one tub for bulk sales and the rest as is. If he sells out of the bulk, he could open another tub. You know the old saying "Run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes".
Yup, Sup, I saw where you were headed and agreed. Obviously Velvet, MCB and M79 sell well, regardless of the reviews, thus he carries them. Your idea of running EGR up the flagpole is a great idea. I'd like to see him do the same with Holiday Excursion as well. Same company produces both, maybe he could cut a deal of some sort, letting them know he's trying to see what kind of traction he can get. I'd be on board.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Richard@4noggins.com. Ask him about carrying EGR, and send him a link to this thread.
Tell da mug dat da Butch an' da boys will pay 'im a visit, see? Myeah! :D
Sorry. I had to have a little fun with this.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
LOL! Will do!
As an aside, have you seen the Chazz Palminteri tribute to the great EGR on TCM? Good stuff.
doubleindemnity3.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Great news! The Sutliff rep called me and said, due to the response about EGR from this thread and a couple of others I posted on other pipe sites, they are going to make a 1.5 oz. tin version of EGR! By seeing people's reactions here, I convinced them to do more with the blend. I'm very excited because this means people who want to try it can without making a decent financial risk. And increases the chances of the brand staying around so your truly will always have it to smoke! Isn't that an amazing turn of events?

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
That is good news,thank you for your efforts in getting this to happen.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks fellas. I also suggest using this link as well as commenting on these threads to let the company know you're willing to buy EGR in the 1.5 oz tins.
http://www.sutliff-tobacco.com/
And use the Sutliff Contact Page to voice your opinion.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I can wait to see it in the 1.5 oz tin, and I'll be happy to buy a tin of it when its available. While I appreciate all of the new complex blends on the market, I prefer to smoke "drug store" blends like Carter Hall during working hours. I don't want something overly complex because it wold distract me. I think there is a good deal of history and solace in these old time blends, an I'd hate to see us as pipe smokers lose out on a little piece of history. I had the opportunity to smoke some >30 year Velvet the a few weeks ago and now I'm interested in trying some current production of it.
Also, the tub has this wonderful classy look to it. I think it would just look great up on my shelf.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I just got a newsletter from SmokingPipes.com. As of today, they are carrying EGR and Heinie's Blend. Looks like somebody's reading the threads or that sales rep talked to them.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Edward_G_Robinson/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=125514

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
jiminks, looks like SmokingPipes couldn't keep up with the demand. It is now showing as out of stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.