PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Perhaps it's just me, but I find myself making mistakes in post I've made. Perhaps I accidentally misspelled a word or even forgot one completely. Sometimes I'll notice it right after I post it, and I'll fix it right away.
But more often than not, I notice it hours later. Now, maybe it's because I spent so long being most God awful speller this world has ever seen, but I hate to leave a mistake. I feel it reflects poorly on myself. I recently noticed that after a set amount of time (I want to say 15 minutes, but it might be more and it might be less), users are unable to edit their post.
I was hoping that this could be changed, allowing users to edit older post. If it's not possible, I understand and will not press the issue further. I merely think that allowing it would be beneficial to not only myself, but others.
Thoughts, criticisms, concerns and comments are always welcome.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I would have said that we have an hour after posting, but that could be way off. I think one of the problems with editing too much after the fact is that you can change things that were commented on later in the thread, thus throwing off any subsequent discussion. And if you go back to update something, those updates will be missed by those who have been reading the thread chronologically, since visitors are most likely to just start reading at the most recent unread responses.
However, I could see some real value in being able to edit -- forever -- any post that has no follow-up commentary or discussion. That way, you wouldn't be affecting anyone else's comments and/or contributions.
Does that make sense?
Bob

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
You have 45-minutes to edit a post, which I think is a long time compared to most sites.
It originally started at 15-minutes and has gradually increased over time after people kept asking me to increase it.
The purpose of this feature is that your post has to become permanent at some point so people can't change history to suit their needs.
And what Bob said too.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Something that might be even more helpful would be a "preview" function so we could see what our posts would look like before posting.
Somehow spelling errors are easier to see that way. Also that would allow us to make sure links are working and photos are appearing before sending the post.
Just an idea if anyone is looking for suggestions.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I feel the same way misterrogers. I posted last night and all my quote places were backwards. 6 pints of Guiness probably didn't help either lol.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I was never real good at grammar and spelling.I got out of school over 50 years ago and I've lost some of what little I did learn.I try not to make mistakes but I'm sure that I do.I just overlook mistakes if others make them and hope that the good folks here do the same for me.They usually do.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I thought I made a mistake once, but I was mistaken.
45 minutes seems pretty good to me but I like the preview thing mentioned. Another unrelated forum that I frequent has that for PMs and I find it very good to clean up what you're really trying to say. But really, I'm pretty happy just the way things are. Now, if I could only lern to spel beter! :D

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I used to be perfect until everybody started expecting it. Now I throw in a mistake every now and then on purpose just to throw them off.

:nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.