PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
As it happens, I'm only minutes away from totality, and about an hour's drive from maximum duration totality.
That, methinks, is mega-cool. :mrgreen:
Anyone else here draw to an inside straight?
http://www.howtoeclipse.com/locate.html

May 4, 2015
Anyone else here draw to an inside straight?
94% Where I'm at. I could drive south 130 miles if I wanted to be in the path of totality.
Here is a very cool site to enter your zip code and view an animation of what you'll actually see where you're at. It also tells you how far you would need to travel to be in the path of totality.
Interactive Eclipse Tracker

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
pb-cfd.png

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Braving what is sure to be the worst traffic in Oregon history, I have vowed to get my son 50 miles south to the 100% zone. I was thinking Madras, but I would never get home. Now I'm planning back roads and subterfuge leaving at 3 am and then meandering back over the bridge at Longview.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The first link wants $20.
That's just to generate a souvenir hardcopy or something. Forget that. The cover page is all you need... just drag the red marker around.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Here's a better map. This time from NASA. 8)
Just zoom in and click a spot:
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I live in the path of totality and am only about twenty minuets from maximum duration; that is the good news. The bad news is that we are expecting about a half a million people which is predicted to cause all kinds of head aches like traffic jams, gas shortages, food chain problems. The local authorities are actually treating this event like a natural disaster.
I am still excited to experience this event with my kids. I will just make sure I am stocked up and ready to go. Now...what to smoke during the eclipse.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I was thinking Madras
Wyfbane, getting Madras might be a bit tough; however, if you left early enough you just might make it in time. It is funny because I live just a few miles from Madras and am contemplating leaving at 3:00 am to drive east into the desert to watch without as much traffic. So, you might leave early to come to my neck of the woods as I leave early to flee.... :)

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
A buddy of mine and I are driving 800 miles to Nashville for this one. I remember the partial of '91 or '93. Can't remember the exact year of it. It was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. A total solar eclipse is once in a lifetime. I'm pretty excited to see 100%. I'm hoping Elvis shows up too. Then I'll really have something worthwhile to tell the youngins about.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm at 98.8% in my zip code but I'll gladly drive 35 miles NE to hit that 100% mark at 1:07 in the afternoon. What a great way to spend a slightly extended late lunch hour.
As to the tobacco?
Pffft....
Nightcap of course
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.