PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Though not completely total, today's eclipse was a fun family experience here. My youngest daughter got some solar lense glasses from school, and I made us some viewer boxes to safely watch the show.
The Boxes
img_20170821_133701-337x600.jpg

Early View In The Box
img_20170821_153709-567x600.jpg

A Shot Playing With The Solar Glasses
img_20170821_132735-450x600.jpg

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I made a box for my 10 year old with some holes and taped a box of eclipse gum in it. He didn't find it as funny as I did. I like corny jokes...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I made a box for my 10 year old with some holes and taped a box of eclipse gum in it. He didn't find it as funny as I did. I like corny jokes...
:rofl:
That's as funny as the caramel covered onions I make for Halloween! That:s great! :rofl:

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
My kids are quick to remind me that they are note corny jokes, they are dad jokes.
Being as I live in the path of totality I had a great morning taking my kids over to my Mom and Dad's house to enjoy a beautiful and rare natural treat.
Chasingembers, great looking box.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's awesome Duane. I missed out on the eclipse today, it was way too cloudy. I did get to see a video of what was supposed to be the eclipse, however it turned out to be...well...DEFINITELY NOT AN ECLIPSE... #jerk coworkers :crazy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great viewing box. Last time we had a partial eclipse hereabouts, I used a pinhole in a sheet of cardboard and another sheet as a screen, and it worked pretty well. This time, we had the same partial effect here locally. If we were more travel ready, I suspect we would have hauled down-state to see the full show. Instead, we set out to a medical appointment but I packed two pieces of copy paper, one with a pinhole, in case the opportunity presented itself, but we were deeply involved in eye exams for my wife, also in partial darkness...what my sister cleverly named the Eyeclipse. Such is life. I'm glad kids were helped to enjoy this celestial marvel safely. On the way to the appointment, there were electronic signs beside the highway that said, no stopping on the highway to view the eclipse.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Had eclipse fun with my kid, too, my 42 year-old one and 10 year-old grandson. He works for the national severe storms prediction center in Oklahoma as a forecaster. Picked up his old man in Kansas and took us to central Nebraska to a site he predicted would be pretty cloud-free. Fascinating experience. Loved seeing the total eclipse-the corona around the moon and how it progressively darkened from dusk to a nearly fully dark state. Then you could look 360 and see what looked like sunrise all around you at the horizon.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
We had 99% here. It was surreal how the daylight looked during our 90 or so seconds of 1%. Dad and his fiance came over and my son and I watched with them in our backyard. It was fun when the street lights came on at 10 am.
Good times!

wilson34

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2017
my niece made me a cereal box so I could see the eclipse too. It was a sweet thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.