PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
So I was perusing the 'bay. I have in the past found a great deal of awesome aged tobacco at reasonable prices on there. I know it has gotten a lot more tricky trying to navigate the morass of rules on there, but I looked tonight anyway.
Lo and behold, I came across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/McClelland-Christmas-Cheer-2016-2017-Sealed-Collectable-Tobacco-Tins-/152265316127?
I don't know why this irritates me so. I am so tempted to ask the question, "How does this differ from the tins of 2016/2017Christmas cheer currently for sale at smokingpipes.com for $16.29 per tin?"
I know a squirrel has to get a nut, but having this kind of gouging on stuff still on sale pretty openly just tweaked a nerve. And to do it to a CHRISTMAS tobacco for heavens sake...

May 4, 2015
Could ask him/her, but I doubt you'd get a response. Or you could really ruin his/her day and report it to eBay as a violation of their TOS. :)

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah it's pretty irritating. I saw this a while back and was going to post it on here myself, but then I just blew it off. Funny thing... I think he might have gone dropped the price from when I first saw it, if I remember correctly.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
They are just trying to make a few bucks, as you know, and I would too, but I'm not a complete douche. I hope people know they can get it cheaper from other sources. But hey, these may be bargain prices in a few years. C'est la vie.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I don't think its too bad. After all the fees the seller isn't going to get rich. He's also willing to ship anywhere in the world, something SP doesn't do. So if you're a millionaire in the Maldives, and you need some CC, $105 ain't too bad for almost a half pound of premium tobacco. I've spent much more on a box of cigars.

Just look at it with the attitude that he's doing our pipe brothers overseas a big service........... :puffy:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The price is very steep, even considering some kind of shipment overseas; unless your address is Base Camp, Mt Everest. :wink: It's $32 of tobacco...

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Well if he really irritates you buy about a dozen CC and post them on ebay for $18.00. Make a note in your add saying there is "plenty more available". Stupid, er I mean uneducated buyers would quickly see he is a ripoff artist.
ps: his shipping to NZ is $32.00. It's only free shipping in the U.S.

How much money is it worth it to go through the hassle to post something and then wait in line at the post office? Then, balanced with something that cannot be gotten anywhere else? Maybe too high for most people, but there may be someone out there...

I know I wouldn't bother going through the hassle for $2 or even $10, unless I am doing it just do something nice for some friends. There are easier ways to make some pocket change.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
We all have the choice to buy or not. Tobacco isn't an essential like fuel. Some people's access to that product might be so limited as to make them believe that's a good deal. If you don't know any better, shame on you!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Gotta love those that take advantage of others. It's like the guy that owns the gas station and raises his prices by $3 a gallon during a disaster. I can't stand people like that.
Yeah, that's a primo case of gouging, and is deplorable. Hurts poor people much more than rich ones.
What the tobacco kerfuffle is about is ripoff. A mere ripoff! As Gloucesterman says, tobacco isn't essential like fuel.... But it is essential!! :)

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Sometimes I go into the bathroom, shut the door, and cry my eyes out. That usually makes them feel better!

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I frequently see items I want, that I think are overpriced or gouged, so I put it on my watch list and see how much it goes for. I have been watching various items for weeks, or in a couple of cases for months. Usually the overpriced item goes unsold and they just end up relisting it for the same crazy price, and once again the time expires with the item unsold. I keep thinking they will relist it at a lower price, but they never do. You gotta give these guys credit, there are some persistant gougers out there.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes. It ain't gouging unless it's asking unreasonable prices for essentials and there aren't ready substitutes, either in kind or in alternate sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.