PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hi hi, Just cruising Ebay and I came across a Dunhill shape I have never seen before. The shape is one thing, but all the stamping is on TOP of the shank.
s-l1600.jpg

Full listing HERE
Have any of you seen a Dunhill like this?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Wyfbane, all the stamping looks correct. I've not seen that shape, BUT the seller is very reputable, IMHO, BASED on multiple purchases I've made from the seller.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Ash, I believe you. I don't know that seller, but no one who sucks makes it to 63xx feedback with a positive rate over 99%.
It was just with a slew of fakes lately, I figured it was worth putting on here for discussion. And it is an interesting shape. Why in the world put the stamping on top of the pipe though?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Definitely legit.
What makes that pipe look a bit "off" is that it was produced in the early 1970's which was a terrible time for Dunhill quality control regarding workmanship (the materials were fine, though.)
For whatever reason (the Irregulars might know), cutting production costs suddenly became a Very Big Deal in 1970, and so pipes were rushed. Shaping was sloppy, and stems went out the door that were thick and chunky.
While some of the cost saving measures "stuck", the sloppy workmanship period was pretty much over by the 1980's. (Some truly outstanding pieces were made in the early 80's, in fact)

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I may not be an "Irregular" here but IMO the early 70's were good standard shapes. The funky misshaped stuff came out in the early to mid 80's. 8O

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Well it is someone's now. Went for $102.50. Not a bad price. I just couldn't swing it.
It's kinda too bad. That was a birth year pipe for me.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I may not be an "Irregular" here but IMO the early 70's were good standard shapes. The funky misshaped stuff came out in the early to mid 80's.
Interesting how two people who have been in the game for decades come away with such different impressions.
Maybe we pay attention to different things?

Status
Not open for further replies.