PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Now I know EMP is an ireplacable staple of many pipe smokers tobacco rotations. With that said, in light of recent events, does anyone have any suggestions for a good bulk alternative to EMP. There are some tin blends like C&D Good Morning which I want to try but I'm specifically looking for a bulk blend to cellar as I've done with EMP.

And if the desire strikes you I'd welcome suggestions on Nightcap, my mixture, and although not a bulk blend, just for fun, Elizabethan blend too. I've yet to try Ye Olde Sign, and proby never will but feel free to try to match that one as well.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Sutliff has a lot of match blends and I'm pretty sure they've done an Elizabethan, Nightcap, EMP, London and a 965 match, but I have no idea how well they stack up. If I were you, I'd read through JimInks Sutliff Match Reviews. Maybe you'll find something you like. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I have been planning to get a bunch of the Sutliff blends to try, and some of these are on my list.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Don't worry. I suspect these blends will still be available...just with different names. In the near future, look for blends coming out of STG/Orlick with such titles as 'First Pipe of the Morning', 'Wake-up Pipe' 'Great with Coffee', 'My Mixture 569', 'Shuteye', 'Tudor Mixture', 'Hors-d'Oeuvre, 'Constantinople', 'Sailor's Rolls', 'Ye Olde Welcome Mat', 'Regal Dinghy', etc.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh so many. Orlik Golden Sliced and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, Russ O.'s Fire Storm, etc. etc.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been meaning to try star of the East so thanks for reminding me, it's in my next order. I always wanted to explore C&D more but was intimidated by the vastness of their offerings. Now with favorite blends disappearing I feel the pull to explore more.

I've had a general aversion to match blends. I'd rather something be similar with a different name then something trying to knock off overtly. Never been a Sutliff fan either nut I'm gonna pull the trigger on match Elizabethan, so you all can sleep well now that you know that. Also I was asking what people like as a substitute not just what exists. Can anyone vouch for a match blend of anything? If so I'd like to know..

Lastly, mso489, golden sliced and luxury navy flake are already long standing members of my morning rotation, although not really very like EMP. Did you recommend those as potential morning blends (which interestingly I already do enjoy them and in the morning no less) or as EMP alternative? As for firestorm I'm dying to try but unfortunately I'm only allowing myself bulk blends at least for this month..

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
For EMP I myself am looking for good mild/medium alternatives. So far the best is Father Dempsey, I ordered about 4-5 1 oz Englishes so waiting for those results.

Jul 25, 2018
C&D Good Morning is excellent. I know you want bulk, but I just wanted to say that I got it in lieu of EMP and I find it much better. Less subtle, but similar and with very clean, bright flavors. Just get it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I usually try match blends "in their own right," not looking for a twin to the named match. If it matches up well, then surprise, surprise. If not, I consider it for what it is, which is sometimes quite good.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Not to stray to far off topic, but I like Dan Tobacco Midnight Ride as a decent substitute for Nightcap. IMHO it has the same flavor characteristics but without the overly sweet syrup mouth feel flavor that I get from nightcap. It is up there nicotine wise also.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Apparently no one smokes Samuel Gawith - Skiff Mixture. I think it's almost identical to Dunhill - Early Morning Pipe, and I actually prefer it over EMP. You won't find a better substitute than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.