PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I'm told that burley is prone to bite. Maybe you're experiencing the irritation in the pharynx instead of the tongue? ?
Altogether possible. Virginias will bite my tongue if I puff too fast, but have never caused throat or ear irritation for me. Burleys don't ever seem to mess with my tongue, and didn't bother me at all until suddenly it did. Maybe it's a body chemistry issue? I've read that bite from va is an acid burn and bite from burley is a base burn.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Altogether possible. Virginias will bite my tongue if I puff too fast, but have never caused throat or ear irritation for me. Burleys don't ever seem to mess with my tongue, and didn't bother me at all until suddenly it did. Maybe it's a body chemistry issue? I've read that bite from va is an acid burn and bite from burley is a base burn.
Yeah, it could be. Do you drink/eat anything whilst you smoke?

Reactions: rushx9
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Usually I'm fine with Burley tobacco , sometimes smoking all day it may get my thorat dry but I hardly get bitten from any burleys unless it is Lane Limited RR,by some weird reason that one seems always bite no matter how I smoke it

This could very well be the problem. But other leaf doesn't mess with me...
Burley burns a tad cooler, mostly because of the heavier casing in most blends. But, burley is like over 90% of the leaf variety produced, with vastly different flavors and properties. But, regardless...
If a blend is burning cooler, one might be inclined to puff harder to get more billowy smoke, and one might be more inclined to goof up and cook their sinuses and glands in the neck, back of the throat.I’ve done it, and it sucks. Just try to relax the cadence, savor the smoke slowly. And maybe dry it a tad more than you think neccesary. Don’t be afraid of burley, until you give it another more thoughtful chance. Get back on that horse, cowboy, or you’ll let the horse think he won. puffy

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Yeah, it could be. Do you drink/eat anything whilst you smoke?
Coffee in the morning, water during the day, and usually 1 adult beverage at night. I've found red wine to be my favorite because it instantly relieves any tongue tingling. The acid counteracting a base burn, perhaps? I really don't drink enough water.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Usually I'm fine with Burley tobacco , sometimes smoking all day it may get my thorat dry but I hardly get bitten from any burleys unless it is Lane Limited RR,by some weird reason that one seems always bite no matter how I smoke it
Interesting... the first time the irritation occurred, it was with LLRR. I love the taste but I rarely touch the 1/2 pound I have jarred up because of this. Ever since that first reaction, about 5 months ago, nearly anything with burley gets me.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Alcohol is an analgesic, and as such just sweeps the problem under the rug. I'd try smoking without drinking and see if the problem persists. Don't put too much weight into that acid/base thing for now: we're still trying to find out what causes it. pH is a topic of interest, but not yet the main suspect let alone the cause.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Burley burns a tad cooler, mostly because of the heavier casing in most blends. But, burley is like over 90% of the leaf variety produced, with vastly different flavors and properties. But, regardless...
If a blend is burning cooler, one might be inclined to puff harder to get more billowy smoke, and one might be more inclined to goof up and cook their sinuses and glands in the neck, back of the throat.I’ve done it, and it sucks. Just try to relax the cadence, savor the smoke slowly. And maybe dry it a tad more than you think neccesary. Don’t be afraid of burley, until you give it another more thoughtful chance. Get back on that horse, cowboy, or you’ll let the horse think he won. puffy
I think this could be part of my issue. Burley burns smooth and cool to me and I do get carried away with puffing. It doesn't give me that warning nip on the tip of the tongue that Va does. Also, Kdf and African varieties used by the Gawiths doesn't bother me the same way. I'm curious if it's just white or light burley and/or the way it's processed that's causing the problem. I believe I've read where you posted that Dark and Light are really two distinct species of tobacco?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Interesting... the first time the irritation occurred, it was with LLRR. I love the taste but I rarely touch the 1/2 pound I have jarred up because of this. Ever since that first reaction, about 5 months ago, nearly anything with burley gets me.
Another possibility: your body might have developed not so much an allergy but an aversion to burley as a result of that experience. I remember Cosmic saying one time that there was a blend that bit him so bad that his tongue would start tingling if he as much as ran his fingers over the blend's tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.