PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Sorry its been so long since ive last been around, but my wife and kids surprised me with Dunhill's The Pipe Book for Father's Day. I've been reading it every free chance I get. I had stumbled across it a while ago on the forums in someone else's post, and looked into it. What an amazing book! Being a fond fan of both piping and history I was entranced. I love the book thus far, yet now that I'm reading what I have found to be the quintessential pipe book, I wonder what other great piping book there are? Any reccomendations??

K

klause

Josh,
My favourite: My Lady Nicotine, by E.M. Barry.
Wonderful book.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Second on "My Lady Nicotine", it's late 19th century British fiction that centers around smoking, delightful! For nonfiction I've also heard good things about Richard Carleton Hackers' "The Ultimate Pipe Book" but can't speak to that as I haven't come 'round to it in my reading list yet.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
joshb83:
If I may gently correct klause, "My Lady Nicotine" was written by James M. Barrie who also authored "Peter Pan." Because of its age, it is hard to find, but definitely worth the search.
I can recommend all three of Richard Carleton Hacker's books on pipe-smoking: "The Ultimate Pipe Book," "Rare Smoke -- The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting," and "Pipesmoking -- A 21st Century Guide."
Another good one is "The Book of Pipes & Tobacco" by the late Carl Ehwa, Jr. Mr. Ehwa, a master tobacco-blender, founded the McClelland Tobacco Company which was named for his grandfather.
Finally, may I suggest "Weber's Guide to Pipes and Pipe Smoking" by Carl Weber.
Enjoy!

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
MLC and others, thanks for the great ideas. It seems i have quite a few searches and summer nights of reading to loook ahead to. thanks!!

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
wyfbane, I have "My Lady Nicotine" and understand it's supposed to be quite humorous. I just don't get it though. Brits can be kinda weird at times.

For you who have read it, do you get the humor? As for "The Ultimate Pipe Book" by Hacker, that was my bible when I first started smoking a pipe.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I have been looking for a copy of John Loring's The Dunhill Briar Pipe for a while...........

They usually fetch around $100, so I was glad to stumble on this a few minutes ago on the 'bay!!

A little more than I wanted to spend, but the extra 6 books should make for some fine reading!!

Dunhill Book Lot

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
For those interested, here's a link to "My Lady Nicotine" on Project Gutenberg.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18934?msg=welcome_stranger

May 31, 2012
Excellent score Matt,

congrats!
You got a great lot there!

I was tempted to get the Lopes book from the same seller...
:puffy:

reading.gif

...here's a few of the more esoteric titles from my small library,

with a glimpse of the contents:
sm-bookworm.gif

xMvi4Zg.jpg

u7g5UeW.jpg

yDrgJDI.jpg

7EKFFqh.jpg

4cCN0kI.jpg

238UlwX.jpg

6thiyTr.jpg

YQgHO0i.jpg

J5C5LfO.jpg

Ffg0qxD.jpg

MAJKHmc.jpg

UbvybFl.jpg

7LJXhjY.jpg

5eCjFrx.jpg

QvAV1IL.jpg

H1XOfLF.jpg

iosOwbe.jpg

m68L4jk.jpg

abqvakc.jpg

EYzMteO.jpg

fFB18yc.jpg

Ajzk4J7.jpg

DjNZbHk.jpg

on5VSVP.jpg

yVSdfnl.jpg

CcHaHMB.jpg

lq6heCZ.jpg

NxxSi1T.jpg

x3WQfwR.jpg

Efk3ZWr.jpg

oD9QBS0.jpg

That last book, the 1914 yearbook, was a very gracious gift from Klause (Jason), actually too gracious of a gift, that title is quite the rare bird and I'm blessed to have a copy!
reading.gif

haebar

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2014
East Tennessee
I like the ebook, "Old Briar" by Dave Whitney. He used to sell them on Ebay but I haven't seen the listings lately. There is also a sequel, "More Old Briar".
Here it is:
Old Briar

May 31, 2012
I recently got a paperback copy of Doctor of Pipes and really really enjoyed reading it,

very entertaining and also insightful.
http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Pipes-strange-communiques-brotherhood/dp/1491701765
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.