PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
What's out there that's the 'equivalent' to EMP and Nightcap?
As for Early Morning Pipe; I've found that Samuel Gawith's Skiff Mixture is similar and very good as a morning smoke. I enjoy SM frequently in the mornings with a cup of coffee. Just as enjoyable as EMP.
While EMP is listed as a Balkan, and SM is listed as an Oriental; they're both comprised of the same blend components (Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia).

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I wouldn’t care what name is on the tin as long as the recipe is the same. BB1938 is in my top 5.
Stupid smoke nazis. :x

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Should everyone be buying reserves of the Dunhill tobacco they enjoy now in 2017?
You should do this with any blend you enjoy. In the 26 years I've smoked a pipe, I've seen many blends vanish from the market.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Keep eyes open for the following new blends coming down the pike from Sutliff:
Nightscape

Our Mixture 965

Emergency Medical Professional

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
The first tin I ever bought was Dunhill Flake. I still enjoy it, but prefer others over it now.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
Sad to hear that such an old standard will be gone. When I start up smoking pipes again as an older adult a tobacconist recommended EMP, and it got me started on the finer tobaccos. Did try Skiff Mixture. It is great. But there is something unique with the EMP aroma: a unique lightness.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Keep eyes open for the following new blends coming down the pike from Sutliff:
Nightscape

Our Mixture 965

Emergency Medical Professional
I figure It'll be Orlik and the creepy quaker oats ripp off guy:
Knight Cap

Your Mixture 965

Early Morning Smoke

Liverpool Mixture

Benchmark Mixture

The Cordial

Benchmark Mixture Medium

Queen Elizabeth Mixture

Baby's Rear End

Prepared Rub

This Old Sign

Sufficient Navy Rolls

3 Year Aged

Royal Yacht, one of my favorites. At one time Bringham had made an equivalent to each of the Dunhill versions, although, in my opinion, they were all a little less nicotine blessed. Hudson Bay, I can't remember the exact name, so this may be wrong, but something close to Hudson Bay was their Royal Yacht. But, that doesn't help much, since Bringham dumped it's pipe tobaccos also.
My suggestion for an equivalent to RY, is to take a really strong Empire Virginia blend and feed your cat plums and asparagus for two days, then let your cat just piss all over the tobacco. You can't just smoke it right away (for one it'll be too wet), you have to let the flavors marry and meld. :puffy:
Royal Yacht, the blend that even if you like it, you have to admit it tastes funny. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Another tactic is to eschew Dunhill blends now and find what you like among our fine American blenders such as GL Pease; Std. Tobacco of PA; Hearth and Home; Wilke and Pipeworks; Perettis (Boston); Iwan Ries, (Chicago) etc.
I think that's smarter than whining and moaning over the disappearance of rather mediocre tobaccos. (Dunhill's star in pipe tobacco has been setting for years. For some, over the horizon quite a while ago.)

Mar 29, 2016
I loved the Murray's version of Dunhill tobaccos, liked the Orlik ones but wasn't impressed at all by the STG version. Exceptions though for Durbar and Aperitif.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I loved the Murray's version of Dunhill tobaccos, liked the Orlik ones but wasn't impressed at all by the STG version. Exceptions though for Durbar and Aperitif.
The Dunhill pipe mixtures have been made for BAT by Orlik in Denmark since 2005. STG is the parent company (I heard Swedish Match has recently sold their stock in STG and I wonder what that means???)

I like the Orlik version of EMP better than the Murray but my favorite is still the Lane Ltd made bulk EMP that was sold here in the USA. 8O

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I like the Orlik version of EMP better than the Murray but my favorite is still the Lane Ltd made bulk EMP that was sold here in the USA.
Actually, the bulks are also made by Orlik, but Lane is the US importer for Orlik/Dunhill.
Russ

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Actually, the bulks are also made by Orlik, but Lane is the US importer for Orlik/Dunhill.

Yeah they have since Dunhill was reintroduced to the US market in 2007 or 2008(?) but my favorite version was made buy Lane ltd in the Murray era. Apologies if I was not clear. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.