PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
For Christmas I was gifted a real nice pipe travel bag and a tin of Dunhill aperitif and a tin of London mixture. I have never had any dunhill tobacco before since I'm only 6-7 months in the pipe game. Should I just put them in my cellar and forget about them since I know they wont make anymore or should I smoke them? Or open smoke a little and jar the rest. Thoughts/opinions anyone?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I would smoke them now. You will gain an appreciation of what others are talking about when describing the blends. And those two blends are pretty basic Dunhill blends, so not a ton to gain by cellaring (i.e., they won't change a ton over time).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Seems like that would be a decision you need to make. Do you want to enjoy them now or would you prefer to save them for a special occasion (or whatever) down the road?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I went for a mixed approach with my remaining Dunhill tins. I have a little of everything Dunhill made, and though I like it, I won't mourn any particular blends.
I smoked some of everything I have, and am saving the rest for special occasions. For example, a college fraternity brother of mine got married over this past weekend, and four of the groomsmen are pipe smokers. We shared one of my tins of Nightcap during his bachelor party, and it was a very special memory. Definitely worth the wait, but if I had smoked all the Dunhill, I could easily have grabbed something else nice that would have been just as nice.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Yeah I was leaning more to opening them and jarring them, but the idea of opening a well aged out of production tin on a special occasion sounds nice. A guess the real question is do these blends gain a lot from aging. Also I'm afraid that if open and like them a lot I wont be able to buy what tins I can find because funds are tight at the moment.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
If it were something like Royal Yacht, you'd have hard time finding a replacement if you liked them. In my opinion, Aperitif and London Mixture are among the most easily-replaced Dunhill blends. For my money, C&D Old College and GL Pease Westminster scratch their respective itches very nicely, though others may have better replacements.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
If you don’t know what it’s tastes like “fresh” you will never know if the aged tin is any better

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Since it was a gift and it's only two tins I would open them, try them and then jar them. Then I would tell the person who gifted them to me that I enjoyed them very much.
I gave my son a bottle of Laphroaig Select on Christmas and he opened and shared with anyone who wanted some while he was over. He loves Laphroaig and I felt good that he opened it and enjoyed instead of taking it home and putting it on a shelf. I gave it to him to enjoy and he did.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am of the smoke 'em now school. If you enjoy them, you may be able to find some still in stock at some e-tailers. :puffy:

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I'd guess it was bought as a present for you to smoke and enjoy, so I'd smoke the tobacco and enjoy it.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Smoke them. I love both of those, and have cellared a lot of both of them. That said, neither one of those will gain much, if anything from cellaring.
Also, if you like London Mixture. you'll want to try GLP Westminster.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I doubt the Dunhill blends made by STG (post 2007...?) are going to ever be worth a lot of dough, if that’s why you’re hesitant about opening. There will be several equivalents available soon, some already available.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Try them because if you like them you still can get London Mixture in quite a few places. Aperitif is a little harder to find.

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Save two tins for ten years to make twenty bucks. What a waste. Think of all the tobacco that never gets smoked.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
My mantra: If you have a cool car, drive it; a cool scotch, drink it; a cool watch, wear it; or a cool tobacco, smoke it. Life's shorter than you think. Better you enjoying your stuff then someone else after you're gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.