Status
Not open for further replies.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Just received a Dunhill Tanshell about which I had a quick question:
The pipe is stamped as such:

DUNHILL TANSHELL (over)
MADE IN ENGLAND 26 (small numbers with underline)

I do not see a size number/circle or finish type or any other stampings.

I was thinking it dates to a 1976? I was looking at pipepedia and saw that they reference a 1976 Tanshell as having an underlined 16 and in 1978 the shape numbers all changed to 5 digits so I ruled out 1986.

Don't have the ability right now to attach pictures.

Thoughts and or confirmation?

Thanks

Reactions: vates

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
It’s a 1986 and all the stamping checks out just fine! A Group 3 Canadian Shape.

Thank You. That seems to me what it should be based on the year code of 26 (underlined). The only thing I am not understanding is the part on the dating key that says the shape numbers changed to 5-digits after 1978 and this pipe has a 4-digit shape number of 3109. I have attached two dating guides I am sure most are familiar with. One has a flow chart indicating 1986 and the other is a typed description that indicates a 1986 pipe should have a 5-digit shape code. That is why I am confused. Unless I have missed something?

Attachments

• Dunhill 1976-1982 Dating Key.png
    Dunhill 1976-1982 Dating Key.png
    107.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Dunhill Dating Key_After 1954.png
    Dunhill Dating Key_After 1954.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
They didn’t quite “change” to five digits. They began using five digit codes then, but not across the board. That’s the key to understanding this. I’ve owned several Dunhills of all finishes from that era with four digit codes. ??

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
They didn’t quite “change” to five digits. They began using five digit codes then, but not across the board. That’s the key to understanding this. I’ve owned several Dunhills of all finishes from that era with four digit codes. ??
Thank You. That makes more sense now. It was very reasonably priced and it is my first Dunhill Canadian. Needs a little Love as it has some excess cake buildup and a kind of darking mid-way down the exterior.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Status
Not open for further replies.