PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmojo

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2017
I have read that Dunhill will soon no longer be available in the US. 965 and London mixture are high on my favorites list. Any suggestions for close matches for either from other sources?

I merely typed into Google "Match for Dunhill 965".

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/75591/match-my-mixture-965/

This one looks the most popular.
Dunhill is going to have several match blends, because Dunhill tobacco was not available for a few years in the US... 2009-2010 I think.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
STG Lane, the Dunhill importers, have said it'll be 12-18 months before Dunhill leaves the market. You've got plenty of time to stock up

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Not planning to stock up. Why should I reward whoever owns Dunhill for screwing me over? I'll switch to Escudo from DNR, they're similar enough. Plenty of English blends out there, one of them will satisfy me as much as Aperitif. Those are the only 2 Dunhill's I'm smoking these days.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I'll be stocking up on DNR as it's a favourite.I don't see the point in cutting my own nose off to spite my face, sure there's alternatives but there's a reason I'm not smoking them now. To be honest I'm glad I had the chance to try the Dunhills as theres many fine blends I never had the chance to enjoy.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
If you like London Mixture, check out GLP's ode to London Mixture: Westminster.

It's not a fine ribbon cut like Dunhill, though. But the flavors are there. It's great right out of the tin, and ages extremely well.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Rewarding Dunhill? How much do you smoke?! Unless you're smoking 1000tins/month, you're not rewarding anyone.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo oldmo
In the first go-around with Dunhill exiting the US market, C&D put out a couple of matches: Tuggle Hall (previously aka #965 - funny that) and Cordial (prev. #973). Both were on the market before FDA's 2007 Deeming date. The TH is more like the pre-Murray 965, heavier and denser in flavor. Likewise with the Cordial; also the Orientals are not as light and fragrant. Both are also not the elegantly fine ribbon cut like DH.
hp

les

crow

Lurker
Jan 13, 2015
Other than the suggested P&C match blends from Cortez has anyone else found any other blend similar to Elizabethan?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The owners of the brand are going to leave all that cash on the table? I doubt it. Someone will buy the brand and continue marketing it. Whether they will sustain the blends and quality is another question. Or the whole corporation will go bankrupt from poor management. I'd miss Dunhill, but there are many good blends -- old ones, new ones, home mixed ones. You seldom go wrong expecting people to remain acquisitive.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you enjoy 965, try Nat Sherman 536. Very similar. I intend to lay in larger supplies of some of my faves. Happily, I don't care for 965,London, Nightcap, or EMP,so I probably won't have too much trouble doing that. :puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm with Shutterbug 100%.
Royal Yacht is the only tobacco they offer that Might see an increase in the cellar, but there are so many more blends that are better and worth just as much time.
Mm965 and Nightcap are nice but GLPease offerings are so much more interesting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jud, I find 965 and Nat Sherman 539 decidedly different, although maybe it's just me. 965 is kind of rough and ready, no Nightcap, but somewhat snappy. I think of Nat Sherman 536 as about the most refined of English blends, rather mild but an elegant melding of the constituent leaf. 536 is an ideal first English blend and always kind of a treat. I like 965, but it's a different animal for me. But it doesn't matter if 965 disappears. There will be plenty of matches and other blends. Old Joe Krantz, though a partly burley blend, is not like 965, but would serve as a substitute for me.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Nat Sherman 536 is actually lane limited HGL. According to the pipe department manager Sherman tobaccos are either Lane, Stockebye or Mclelland bulks.
Mclelland also has 3 Dunhill bulk matches
AM pipe = EMP Nine 2 Five= 965 and PM pipe = Nightcap

Status
Not open for further replies.