PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What's that story about Dunhill leaving the market? Does it just concern the US?
The first indication came from the Dutch Pipesmoker, who announced that Dunhill tobaccos would not be available in the Netherlands. Shortly after that, Dunhill's US distributor announced a couple of months back that Dunhill tobaccos would no longer be available in the US with a time frame of 12 to 18 months.
So it's not just the US and the indication is that Dunhill tobaccos will no longer be made. Not enough money versus costs and difficulty of dealing with a variety of regulations to the owner of the blends.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
We'll see. Dunhill are produced by the Orlik guys and I don't think they will stop production. Dunhill are certainly among the higher sold products of this firm and if they don't stop production of all tobaccos altogether I can't see why stopping the Dunhills. Second, they began reintroducing quite a large number of "new" Dunhill blends these past years which is an indicator that there's a demand out there.

I don't think they will stop production.

That's a lot of faith in a company (Dunhill) that has been separating itself from pipes in any fashion possible. Demanding that the new pipe lines have a new name "White Spots" and announcing globally that they don't want to have anything to do with pipe tobacco. Orlik may produce it, but I don't think the company that was leasing the Dunhill name has anything to do with them, outside of a possible contract. Companies will farm out different aspects of production for other companies.
I'm not going to hold my breath. I don't see a pardon from the governor coming anytime soon for Dunhill products.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ha-ha, jaygreen. Thank you for the note on Nat Sherman being a Lane blend. I had such fantasies, having discovered it at the Manhattan shop as a bulk blend. Oh well. It's good stuff, and I don't mind it's source. Lane does some very classy blends, and often for reasonable prices, tinned and bulk. I'm always pleased with English Luxury and a number of others.
Sad to see the Dunhill blends disappear. As I've said before, I'm still not comprehending the business sense in this, but the whole pipe world is in major flux.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We'll see. Dunhill are produced by the Orlik guys and I don't think they will stop production. Dunhill are certainly among the higher sold products of this firm and if they don't stop production of all tobaccos altogether I can't see why stopping the Dunhills. Second, they began reintroducing quite a large number of "new" Dunhill blends these past years which is an indicator that there's a demand out there.
It won't make a difference for the US. As per the current regulation, Dunhill pipe tobaccos will be history. Same thing happened around the end of 2007, and Dunhill left the US market then, so it doesn't qualify to be sold after 8/8/2018. The new products, or reissues of older products will be poof, gone. Dunhill blends haven't been particularly good sellers here, and the introduction of new products can be interpreted as trying to drum up interest, or taking advantage of the looming cut off to make some money short term.
Orlik may manufacture these Dunhill labeled blends, but they don't own any other rights, so if BAT decides that it no longer wants to be in this business, Orlik is done making them as well. Orlik could continue to produce these Dunhill branded blends under another name, but they still won't be available in the US per current law.
In other words, bye bye Dunhill branded tobaccos.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have a feeling that when Dunhill blends are no longer available, I'll just wind up smoking more Old Dublin and Irish Oak.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Sorry folks. You have all my sympathy but I don't care about US laws. I live in Europe and if BAT decides to no longer sell in the US that doesn't necessarily mean that they will no longer be available over here. Although the case of the Netherlands does'nt inspire confidence.

It was my understanding that, for whatever the reason, they were pulling the blends across the board, not just in specific countries. But, I'm old and the rhetoric has had my old brain spinning. But, didn't we have someone from the industry post something to that effect when it first hit the forum?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sorry folks. You have all my sympathy but I don't care about US laws. I live in Europe and if BAT decides to no longer sell in the US that doesn't necessarily mean that they will no longer be available over here. Although the case of the Netherlands does'nt inspire confidence.
Given the stringent EU laws, as well as country specific restrictions, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Dunhill branded blends go the way of the dodo. They might be continued under a different name, but as has been noted, the company no longer wishes to associate itself with cigar and pipe tobacco. Cigarettes, being far more profitable, are another matter.

Thomas, first off, I have no idea what will happen in your area, wherever that is, but we have heard many times in different places that Dunhill does not want it's name associated with pipes. It may not be going away in your area. But, to be prudent, if you love these blends, I'd set back some, just in case. Who knows.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sable makes a good point. They are not safe under the new FDA deeming regs, so it is going to cost them $300k or so per blend to bring them to market, and they may not be bringing in that much per blend per year anyway, so they will exit. Corporates often look toward the future of legislation and try to exit markets before the grim end.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There is always the Royal Yacht match:
https://paylesscigarsandpipes.com/altadissutliff-match-royal-yacht-match-1-lb
But no one buys it because it is ranked "medium" in Nicotine, which makes us think it is one of those soy-eating Virginias instead of the real blood-feasting deal.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But no one buys it because it is ranked "medium" in Nicotine, which makes us think it is one of those soy-eating Virginias instead of the real blood-feasting deal.
No one buys it because it reminds them of Royal Rot.......
:nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.