PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
So, I was hunting for Dunhill tins here since they are rare in Egypt. And I found this one in a local B&M storage, so I got it and to my surprise it was stamped 2006..So, I kept it for a good day. And finally popped it open. Out of the tin, there is a dominant, fruity smell. Which seemed awkward for an English/Oriental blend. It is at perfect moisture and cut perfectly as per the normal from Dunhill. The first third of the bowl tastes a lot like MM965 which was a surprise, since it is described as Oriental. But afterwards, it starts to open up.. The Virginias are sweet and mild. The Orientals are spicy and gives a nice aroma. It tastes a bit like Frog Morton on the town but without the vinegary taste..And the latakia is smoky like it should. My only gripe with this is that it has no character. It's just good tobacco, but nothing special. I like it, but if I have to pick, I'll go with MM965 or FM on the town. But I'll pick it up If they are not available as a good alternative
wI2t6we.jpg

fbsPhep.jpg

iWnpdA5.jpg

xERko8f.jpg

0jvDKKo.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Sould give this standard mix another try,I liked it but it was a bit too harsh and loaded with nicotine,knocking me out everytime I was down a bowlfull,nevertheless somehow I'm suspected I had it too moist, tastewise not bad at all, full and creamy-a real Standard British one tobacco.Although I though I might be easy to get it there in Egypt taken in count your countrys 'British Heritage of those days.

Reactions: drbarryk

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Standard is the standard for English blends,in my book. Lat forward, some orientals, no topping, no perique, no cavendish. For those of you who want sweet latakia blends -like 965 or the Frogs - this won't work. For those of us looking for a solid English blend, this is the real deal. One of my always in rotation blends.

Reactions: rushx9

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Anything with a hefty Lat smell in the tin gets smoked in one of my dedicated Lat pipes. Stuff with a small amount? Gets smoked in the same pipes as Va and Burley blends.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@paulie66scandia
As for having an english heritage, I wish.. Now the government has an embargo on tobacco products and I can't get any dunhills in Egypt.. i have to ask friends coming from abroad for a few tins..

And standard mixture is nice, but it needs some aging, you'd be lucky to find an aged one..

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
All Right Dear Mister Ahmand,I did not know Your government got over tobacco products so strictly and ruthlessly. Years ago I got some my favorite Egyptian cigarettes Cleopatras, and couldn't stop wondering what a hell of a waring texts and pictures they had put on these new packages,now judging on your comments,and now wondering if your countrys customs officials are sniffing into parcels coming in,let say from European continent,,

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Indeed they are. They're like blood hounds. Last time I tried getting a couple of tins in. They were locked up in customs for a month. Both opened and checked. Then I got hit by 240% of customs & taxes.

Also I surprised you like Cleopatras. They are not popular here. Most people prefer Marlboro and lucky strike

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Oh Lord, and I thought we are so bad here in northern Eu,as for cigarettes,sure I give my favore to traditional

time tested goods preferring unfiltred ones such as no filtered Luckies(more than 30 year cigarette&cigar man)but bow mainly with pipes,having hard times giving up cigs though

Btw- If Customs are getting tricky I can be crappy too,,

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Maybe heavy lat bombs can help you with cigarettes.. And how can you be crappy if customs are getting tricky?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ahmad, I found Standard Mixture much less tasty than Nightcap, 965, or London Mixture. It seemed a little bland with the rising of a sharp edge, a harshness at the bottom of the bowl. Just not appealing to me. But I see some like it quite well, so I'll write my experience off to personal taste. You can always get a tin that is from a lesser batch that doesn't do best by the blend. I doubt I'd order another.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@mso489 I think I agree.. I mean this is 10 years aged and it is quite mild.. I guess the aging showed some flavours, but as I mentioned in the review.. It has no character..

Status
Not open for further replies.