PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
I have had this Dunhill cherrywood for a number of years and was always curious as to the reason or purpose behind the “star” stamp below the standard nomenclature.
Does anybody have this on any of their pipes or know the significance?
Thank you,
Ray26752676

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Here is some info that might help
Duh! Don’t know why I didn’t think to do a search!
Yes, that is helpful. Not a whole lot of info there but it is still something!
I vaguely remember hearing something about “star” stamped Dunhill’s and the “French” connection on the ASP newsgroup years ago.
I appreciate the help.
Thank you,
Ray

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Stars were used as a grading on DRs for awhile, but I don't think that applies here. On their other pipes they had a little block shaped stamp that indicated that they thought the pipe to be of slightly higher grain quality than average, but that also doesn't apply here.
Maybe you will find an answer on the restored Loring pages at Pipedia.

Reactions: peregrinus

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Maybe you will find an answer on the restored Loring pages at Pipedia.
Sable, thank you.
Back about 20 years ago when I was buying a Dunhill now and then I bought John Loring’s 1998 self-published "The Dunhill Briar Pipe - The Patent Years and After" (photo below). I read it cover to cover and although he does reference some obscure stampings I never found a reference to a “Star” stamp on Shell’s. At the time I decided if it wasn’t in John’s book then it was some aberration of little significance. I did spend some time diving into Pipedia’s very extensive archives without finding any specific reference to this particular stamp.
Although I didn’t particularly care for cherrywood’s at the time I acquired it, over the years, it has become a favorite and so I sometimes begin contemplating the “Star” again.
Perhaps my Dunhill with the Star may just remain a small mystery in my life!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.