PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Did anyone else see this auction on ebay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Shell-588-From-1957-Estate-Pipe-Made-in-England-/132868552952?hash=item1eef9538f8%3Ag%3A~8MAAOSwkitb-~h3&nma=true&si=bLqo02MBgPWajVBkDPmMsZKW0yo%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
What an interesting little pipe.
I'm not sure I'd ever seen a 588 before, it looks like that shank would snap if you looked at it wrong. It was also stamped as a group 4, but the seller stated it weighs 28 grams!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I did not see that one. Probably a good thing I didn't!

I've never seen that shape before, and what an elegant piece it is!! Interesting to say the least.

Thanks for sharing!.............. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Love the lines on this. Terrible photos of a fine pipe.
s-l1600.jpg

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Well done! I was watching that one since it was my birth year pipe but I have a bent billiard already by Dunhill and could not afford the additional expense, but saying that it was a good price really.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
So this finally finished the trip from Sweden, and WOW what a neat pipe. The shank is less than a centimeter thick and the the tenon is only 0.22 inches in diameter! This is definately a delicate and fragile shape and I can see why few were apparently made, but it is good evidence that Dunhill was trying to think outside the box in the '50's.
The seller indicated that the pipe was in exception condition and he was not exaggerating. The blast is extremely crisp and has that almost microscopic texture to it that is exquisite, clearly the stummel has never seen the tender mercies of a buffing wheel. The pipe was smoked so little that the heel is still almost factory clean. Not bad for a 61 year old pipe!
I will try to get pictures, but I am limited to a phone camera and fear I won't do this pipe justice.
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.