Dunhill Ranking - Which One's the Most Iconic?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

donperique

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
Sad enough - Dunhill blends passed away. But looking back, which of these blends had the most iconic 'value' for you - and why?
My rating:
1. Navy Rolls (best Vaper)

2. MM 965 (hits Nightcap and EMP in the middle)

2. Nightcap (simply unique)

3. EMP (best tin design)

4. Durbar (best Oriental)

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
For me it was always Nightcap.
The exceptional aroma and flavor combined with the amazing tin art.
That was my daily tobacco

I liked Royal Yacht, but I liked seeing Deathmetal's posts extolling it's virtues even more. I can smoke it, and I can enjoy it, but if it was wiped off the face of the earth, I would just sigh and keep going.
Nightcap is one that I am very glad that I stocked back pounds and pounds of, but again, it isn't something I couldn't live without. Dunhill's passing didn't hit me nearly as hard as McClelland's. The rest of their stuff was good, IMO, but I always found that there was something better in the genre. Dunhill blends were more like a distant uncle that I heard good things about, but in person, he was more talk than action. Whereas, McClelland blends were like an uncle that took you on fishing trips, gave you stuff, and never forgot a birthday. :puffy:

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Gotta agree on Royal Yacht. All those blends were tasty, but Royal Yacht is the furthest from having any reasonable substitute on the market. I would also rate The Aperitif as very unique and sorely missed, but there are definitely blends out there which, though not an exact match, fill the void left by The Aperitif very well.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
It's hard not to choose my favorite but I'll not.
I'll choose an English blend as it's an English company. As far as I'm concerned the big three are EMP, MM965 and Nightcap and personally I'd suggest, for it's rich bold flavor and nicotine punch, Nightcap as most iconic Dunhill blend.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I smoked Dunhill Flake all the time. Luckily I still have tins left and I've found several substitutes.
But I never went too deep into Dunhill, so I'm not sorrowful of its demise.
Sorry folks, but change is part of the game.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Really miss Nightcap. It's all gone... :cry:
Favorites: Durbar, Ye Olde Sign, BB1938.
Why: Because I have about 10 tins of each stashed away.
Only 2 tins of EMP and going fast at 2 bowls almost every morning.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Ash- what are your Flake substitutes? I find Capstan Blue scratches my itch but wasn’t able to celllar enough Dunhill to last so I am also on the replacement hunt.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well,to me it was The Standard Mixture and Royal Yachts,along with Clan Aromatic these were my first 'real tobaccies which I tried when I was in my 17ies(You bet,had a bad nic hit back then)and the tin art was simply lovely on both of these and on EMP as well,

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I already miss the days when Nightcap was just part of the routine monthly order.
MM 965 was the first Dunhill tin I ever bought; I think it was the first latakia-forward blend I tried. When I first opened the tin, I was attacked by the odor of a tire fire in a junkyard. I couldn't wait to try it! That first smoke, outdoors on an early winter night, was a milestone experience.
Like a lot of you here, I moved on, as my Dunhill stockpile moved from the daily bin to the special occasion bin. It was a fun run, though, smoking EMP as an everyday-ish smoke. At least I have enough Royal Yacht for several years of backyard barbecues.
:puffy:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
@Pianopuffer: I find the same with Capstan Blue. On another thread, Jiminks says that the yellow seems more like Dunhill Flake to him. I haven't tried that one yet, so I'll have to take his word for it until I do.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Yeah, I've also had the Capstan Yellow, but for me it wasn't quite the same thing. Perhaps with age on it my perceptions will change.....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All good, but Nightcap has won the most affirmative comment on Forums, in my assessment. Royal Yacht is polarizing, but for those who like it, it is irreplaceable, and i'll go with that. London Mixture is a quiet blend but has always been a personal favorite of mine, in the Dunhill line. 965 is a great old trooper everyday smoke. And so on. I have a few unopened tins on hand and look forward to the nostalgia trip in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.