PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
So a friend has a 1933 patent root briar dunhill, I know for a fact this is worth quite a bit of money, I believe it was the first patent year for root briar. We were thinking it was worth about 1500 dollars.
Does anyone have any idea? I cant get any pictures of it, but its a bent shape and is in almost new, but used condition.
Just curious, thanks all

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Here is some information about that particular year:

Dunhill Root Briar 1933
There are two appraisal values listed. I would not use those as guidelines, as they are severely undervalued from current Dunhill market values. The site doesn't give much information, but I thought anything might be helpful.
I've seen some Dunhill pipes reach astronomical numbers, so you might not be far off the mark with that particular valuation. If he is looking to sell it, my best advice would be to set a very high reserve to get a feel for who is willing to pay what. Once you have tested the waters, adjust your strategy from there.
If he's looking to keep it, he's a lucky guy. I'd love to see it.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
He is definitely keeping it, he just wanted it appraised, if I can get a picture next time I see him, which should be next week, Ill ask him for a picture. It is almost scary to hold, it weighs nothing, lightest piece of briar I have ever seen

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
As soon as you can provide some pictures, with his permission, I'll save them to my Droid and show them to a few local pipe gurus I know. Between what I dig up and the info I'm sure is forthcoming from our resident sages, your friend will get a good idea about the value of his pipe.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
The shape is either a bent dublin, a bent brandy, or maybe a bent canadian,it was very funky looking to me, maybe the bent brandy

Status
Not open for further replies.